This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

78, CHILTERN STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 78, CHILTERN STREET

List entry Number: 1250984

Location

78, CHILTERN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-May-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433545

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2881 NW CHILTERN STREET (west side) 1900-/44/10045 No. 78

II

Former school to the Portman Chapel, now flats, workrooms and library. 1859 by Christopher Eales, minor alterations 1880s. Red brick with concrete floors and iron girders spanning the ceilings, slate roof. A carefully thought-out plan to provide maximum separation between girls and boys on a tiny site. Three-storey houses for the schoolmaster and mistress (now flats) face the street, entered under archways: that to left for boys, leading via open tiled stairwell to schoolroom on second floor; that to right leading to yard, formerly with open colonnade, infilled in the 1880s by the Henson brothers. Classrooms at rear and over courtyard, in L-shape of four storeys, with separate floors for infants, girls and boys in ascending order. On top floor an assembly hall shared by all the children, with timber kingpost and hammerbeam roof of unusually chunky construction.

Included as an early surviving example of a church school in a city centre, obtaining a maximum of accommodation on a small site by use of features later adopted by the London School Board.

Source: The Builder, 12 November 1859.

Listing NGR: TQ2804881857

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 12 November, (1859)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28048 81857

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250984 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 11:05:47.

End of official listing