MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDINGS A201 AND A202 AT TL 3768800948

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1251016

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1993

Statutory Address: MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDINGS A201 AND A202 AT TL 3768800948

Map

Ordnance survey map of MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDINGS A201 AND A202 AT TL 3768800948
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251016 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 03:51:35.

Location

Statutory Address: MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDINGS A201 AND A202 AT TL 3768800948

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Waltham Abbey

National Grid Reference: TL3768800948

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/02/2012

TL3700 3/10014

MOD Buildings A201 and A202 at TL 3768800948

(Formerly listed as Royal Gunpowder House)

GV II*

Mixing House and Saltpetre Mill. 1787-1800; Mixing House extended to north by one bay before 1830; linked by later C19 bay to centre. Reddish/brown Flemish bond brick, hipped to right and with ventilators to two pyramidal roofs on left. One storey.Saltpetre Mill to left has gauged brick flat arches over two C20 windows and concrete lintel over late C18 heavy plank door on right. Mid C19 entrance bay to centre with red brick flat arch over half-glazed mid C20 door.Mixing House has timber lintel over early/mid C19 four-panelled door flanked by segmental arches over C20 two-light windows. Early C19 extension to right has similar window and timber lintel over late C19 four-panel door with overlight set in beaded wood architrave. Stepped brick eaves. Interior of Mixing House includes 3-bay king-post roof with soffit bolts, raking struts and diagonal corner bracing to wall plates; other roofs not visible. Saltpetre and sulphur were mixed with charcoal, the 3 ingredients then being crushed in the incorporating mill. A set of drawings dated 1830 have recorded these buildings and the utensils used therein in great detail. An important and unique survival of a building associated with the late 18th century gunpowder industry. Groups with the contemporary Walton House, A200 (qv). (RCHME report, 1993).

Listing NGR: TL3768800948

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352176

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Royal Gunpowder Factory Waltham Abbey A Survey, (1994)

End of official listing