CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251086

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, ARTHINGTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251086 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 06:58:58.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, ARTHINGTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Arthington

National Grid Reference: SE 27628 44672

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/11/2017

SE 24 SE 6/84

ARTHINGTON ARTHINGTON LANE LS 21 (south side) Church of St. Peter

22/11/1966

II Church. 1864, by Messrs Mallinson and Healy of Bradford for William M. Sheepshanks of Arthington Hall. Rock-faced sandstone, slate roof. Gothic style. Nave with north west tower, north and south transepts, chancel. Three-stage tower, incorporating porch, has angle-pilasters, narrow two centred-arched north doorway with roll-moulded head and short set-in shafts which have stiff-leaf capitals, a lancet to the second stage, two-centred-arched belfry windows each of two cusped louvered lights, with shafts like those of the doorway, corbel table, and broach spire, with lucarnes on slender shafts. West gable of nave has a five-bay arcade with similar shafts, cusped windows in the first, third and fifth lights, blind windows in the others, a wheel window above. Nave has two plate-traceried two-light windows in each side; transepts have two larger plate-traceried two-light windows; two-bay chancel has two-light windows with bar tracery, and a four-light east window with multifoils in the head. All these windows are linked by moulded sill and impost bands carried round the whole, and this feature is repeated in the interior, which has transept and chancel arches with deeply-undercut roll-moulding in the soffits, and shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, the continuous band stepped round square imposts above these capitals; arch-braced collar truss roof; various brass wall monuments to members of the Sheepshanks family of Arthington Hall (q.v.) (and first vicar was Thomas Sheepshanks).

Listing NGR: SE2762844672

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 433696

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Leach, P, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding: Leeds, Bradford and the North, (2009), 103
Websites
Leeds Intelligencer, Saturday 27 August 1864, accessed 24/11/2017 from https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000193/18640827/056/0008

End of official listing