CHURCH OF ST EDWARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1251111

Date first listed: 06-Jan-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDWARD, WYLYE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDWARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251111 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 12:30:54.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDWARD, WYLYE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Teffont

National Grid Reference: ST 98916 32368

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 93 SE TEFFONT WYLYE ROAD (west side)

1/189 Church of St. Edward Formerly lisated as Chapel Church) 6.1.66

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C13 and C14. Rubble stone with dressed limestone, tiled roof with stone slates to eaves. Consists of nave and chancel under one roof, south porch. C14 gabled south porch has double chamfered pointed doorway, coped verges. Nave to left side has pair of lancets, to right are two pairs of lancets. East end has diagonal buttresses and group of three stepped cusped lancets. North side has pair of lancets either side of blocked pointed doorway. West end has diagonal buttresses and double bell-niche with arched heads. Interior: porch has original arch-braced collar-rafter roof, pointed inner doorway with ovolo-moulded arch, 4-bay nave roof has tie-beam and collar trusses with chamfered tie-beams and braced collars. Flagstone floors throughout. Blocked north doorway opposite south door with same ovolo-moulded arch. Early C16 wooden traceried chancel screen, one-bay chancel has plastered pointed barrel-vaulted ceiling. Pointed piscina on south wall with ovolo- moulded arch. C19 wooden pulpit and reading desk in C16 style. C12 cylindrical font on octagonal plinth, on north side of nave. C19 pews. To left of south door is reset fragment of Saxon cross with fine interlaced carving. Limestone Gothic-style wall tablet in chancel to William Lush of Deptford, died 1836; inscription records a charitable endowment of £50 for blankets for the poor. Church was a chapel of ease to Dinton until 1922 when it became a chapelry to Teffont Evias. Fine example of a simple, little- restored village church. (VCH, Wiltshire Vol 8, 1965.)

Listing NGR: ST9891632368

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 320415

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1965)

End of official listing