THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1251130
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251130 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 06:30:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Claydon
National Grid Reference:
TM 13788 49904

Details

CLAYDON CHURCH LANE TM 14 NW 7/98 The Old Rectory 9.12.55 - II Company headquarters, formerly rectory. Mid C16 with major alterations of several periods. 2 storeys. C16 parlour wing to right, and service range, (probably C18), to left. The central hall range was rebuilt c.1930. Pre-C20 work is timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled roofs with axial and external chimneys of red brick. Mainly early C19 sash windows with small panes. The garden elevation of the cross-wing has two C18 sash windows with segmental heads; in the centre of this wing is a small 2-storeyed gabled projection, perhaps C16, and probably a staircase wing. In the cross-wing are moulded 1st and attic floor joists and good close-studwork; the attic floor was inserted c.1600. The rebuilt hall range is of rendered masonry with limestone windows and entrance doorway in the Elizabethan manner; the 1st floor is partly constructed of reused C16 moulded floor joists as in the parlour. The Revd. George Drury (1819-1895) was the central figure in a national scandal, involving a burial at the adjoining parish of Akenham, while he was the Incumbent here.

Listing NGR: TM1373049845

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433453
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00213/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].