This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1251145



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Blundeston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 361700

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BLUNDESTON CHURCH ROAD TM 59 NW 2/6 Church of St. Mary 27.11.54 I Parish church. Medieval, the chancel partly rebuilt 1851. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble, faced with knapped flint except for the tower and the north side of the nave; stone dressings. Slated roofs. Round tower: the lower three-quarters is C11 or earlier, with various semi- circular headed slit windows and a range of larger blocked openings denoting the former belfry; early C16 west window in brick. The upper part of the tower has an admixture of red brick and is probably C15: lancet belfry openings and crenellated parapet. Nave originally C12 but rebuilt and widened in C14: only the south wall was re-aligned, leaving the tower asymmetrical. The nave windows are mainly C14, with reticulated tracery motifs; to the south there are also 2 C15 windows. 3-light west window, apparently late C13. The C14 south nave doorway incorporates 2 upside-down C12 colonnettes. Restored C15 porch. 2-bay chancel with tall 2-light C14 windows similar to those in the nave. C19 east end with 4-light window in Decorated style with geometric tracery. Interior. Simple Cll-C12 tower arch. Mid C19 boarded ceilings to nave and chancel. The nave roof is in 2 bays: the main trusses appear to be original (C14) and rest on C14 stone corbels carved as human heads. Ogee- arched piscina in chancel. C12 font, originally square but now octagonal, on an octagonal stem surrounded by 8 detached octagonal columns. The bowl has traces of incised decoration. Good late C15 rood screen with crocketted ogee- arched lights and pierced tracery; the dado has 16 traceried panels painted with Angels of the Passion. The screen has been somewhat restored: the upper parts of the outer bays and the coving to the rood beam are entirely renewed. The mid C19 poppyhead nave benches incorporate C15 ends against the walls. 2 other detached poppyhead benches are entirely C15. A considerable amount of mid C19 carved chancel woodwork, including oak panelling, choir stalls and sedilia. In the chancel floor there are 2 early C17 brass inscriptions and a number of ledger slabs. Over the south door are the Arms of Charles II dated 1673.

Listing NGR: TM5134597234

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 51345 97234


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251145 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 04:51:37.

End of official listing