MINISTRY OF DEFENCE NUMBER L168 (ENGINE HOUSE AND MECHANICS' SHOP)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1251159
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1993
Statutory Address:
MINISTRY OF DEFENCE NUMBER L168 (ENGINE HOUSE AND MECHANICS' SHOP)

Map

Ordnance survey map of MINISTRY OF DEFENCE NUMBER L168 (ENGINE HOUSE AND MECHANICS' SHOP)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251159 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 21:17:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
MINISTRY OF DEFENCE NUMBER L168 (ENGINE HOUSE AND MECHANICS' SHOP)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Epping Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Waltham Abbey
National Grid Reference:
TL 37718 01050

Details

ROYAL GUNPOWDER FACTORY TL3700 MOD Building No L168 3/10016 (Engine House and Mechanics' Shop) at TL3772 0105 GV II*

Mechanic's Shop and Engine House. 1857. Flemish bond yellow brick with hipped slate roof. Single-storeyed rectangular plan with engine house housed in tower to north east; engine house extended c1859 by flat-roofed Motor Room; in c1881 the Mechanic's Shop was extended to the south and the west by a further 2 bays, the remodelling probably including the replacement of original walls. Brick dentil cornices and brick corner pilasters, paired to Mechanic's Shop. North elevation of Mechanic's Shop has late C19 segmental red brick arches over double doors with overlight to right and over four 16/16-pane sashes. Similar fenestration and arches to other elevations. Engine House has semi-circular gauged brick arch with plain imposts and keystone to tall blocked window opening to south; similar arches to 3 small windows to upper stage of west elevation and to doorway and lunette window to south, the latter having bracketted sill inscribed "Erected 1857". Motor Room has concrete lintels over mid C20 door and window. Interior of 1857 structure: octagonal cast-iron columns with ornate capitals; north-east column has rounded section probably originally for swing jib. A matrix of pierced iron joists probably doubled as strengthening-ties and for locating beams for brackets for line shafting and pulleys. Iron roof trusses with decorative compression members. Late C19 king-post roof to southern extension. A plan of 1856 shows foundations for a 30-horsepower Compound Steam Engine. Sited to north of its contemporary boiler house, L176 (qv). The engine drove six incorporating mills in Building L169 (demolished), the first of the steam-powered incorporating mills to have been built on the site, which lay immediately to the south and has left the scar of its gabled roof against the south wall of the Engine House; a concrete floor overlies the "shaft alley" which housed drive shafts etc which transmitted power to the incorporating mills and may have survived. (RCHME report, 1993).

Listing NGR: TL3771801050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433790
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Royal Gunpowder Factory Waltham Abbey A Survey, (1994)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03632/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Simpson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].