MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1251184
Date first listed:
13-Nov-1962
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251184 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 07:39:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Broughton Gifford
National Grid Reference:
ST 87959 63497

Details

BROUGHTON GIFFORD THE STREET ST 86 SE (east side) 4/82 Manor House (formerly listed as "The Old Manor") 13.11.62 GV II *

Detached house. Early C17. Random rubble stone, stone slate roof, ashlar stacks with moulded cappings, saddleback coped verges. L- plan. Two-storey, 3-window main range. Gabled stone porch with round-arched doorway with keystone imposts and dripstone, ledged inner door with Tudor-arched stone surround, 3-light ovolo- mullioned casement either side, continuous string course over lintels. First floor has 3-light mullioned casement either side of 2-light over porch, lintel string course. Two full gabled dormers with 3-light mullioned casements with hoodmoulds, finials to coped verges, wing projecting to left has two 3-light ovolo-mullioned casements to ground floor, one to first and to full gabled dormer, gabled front of wing has 3-light mullioned casement to ground, first and attic floors. Right return of main range has large. external stack. Left return has 3-light mullioned casement to ground floor, 2-light mullioned casement to attic, two large gabled stacks. Rear has 2-light and 5-light mullioned casement and two gabled attics as front, single-storey wing to right added 1909. Interior has moulded beams and exposed joists to ground floor, Tudor-arched stone fireplaces, and bolection-moulded first floor fireplace. Fine stone fireplace in drawing room, reset from first floor 1909, segmental pediment with carved fish on volutes with mask corbels, frieze with cartouches and heraldic arms supported on pilasters with guilloche ornament, ovolo-moulded doorway from hall to drawing room. Probably built for Sir John Horton, whose family owned the house during C17. A good example of the C17 stone manor house in North Wiltshire. House restored c.1909 by Mr. Schmidt. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 7, 1953; Wiltshire Buildings Record, Devizes).

Listing NGR: ST8795963497

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433824
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1953)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00455/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Gill Cardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].