CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1251271
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, STOWMARKET ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251271 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 22:17:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, STOWMARKET ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Blakenham
National Grid Reference:
TM 11808 50827

Details

GREAT BLAKENHAM STOWMARKET ROAD TM 15 SW 3/55 Church of St. Mary 9.12.55 - I Parish church, mediaeval. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. The vestry and organ chamber were added in 1877 with other alterations. Flint rubble walling; the chancel and upper stage of tower are plastered. Plaintiled roofs; the tower roof is flat with parapets. The nave walling is largely Norman and has sections of coursed flint rubble. The north and south nave doorways both have plain round arched heads of C11 or early C12 form, but are not opposite; the former may be earlier. The south chancel doorway is similar and has interesting and early graffiti on the jambs. By the south doorway is a Norman lancet. Other windows are of c.1200; the east window has 3 separate pointed lancets with a vent above, but the centre light was re- introduced in 1877 to replace a C14 window. 2 small pointed lancets in the chancel side walls of c.1200 and another in the nave. The plain 2-stage tower was added in mid C14; it has 2-light traceried belfry openings and a similar west window. On the south walls of the nave and chancel are several scratch- dials, some early. The nave roof, of C14 or C15, is of coupled-rafter type with double collars, the lower set with soulaces (the last couple against the tower, with single collars, remain from an earlier roof). The cornice was added or renewed in C19. Similar chancel roof, with single collars. A roodloft stair and doorway of c.1500 in south wall. The south porch is also of c.1500, open, timber-framed and standing on a high plinth. The doorway has a 4-centred head with rose-carved spandrels. The mountant above is carved with an image of St. Mary in a buttressed niche. The side windows, in 2 bays of 4 lights, have fragmentary traceried heads. The roof has moulded arch- braced principals without ties. The moulded inner south door may be of this date, but the cinquefoiled framing at the head suggests C14 work. A 3-light window near the south door is of c.1500. C15 octagonal limestone font; on the bowl are carved emblems of the passion and on the stem are traceried buttresses with sunk panels between - an unusual design. Fine mid C17 pulpit with arcaded panels and a sounding-board with acorn drop finials. In the tower is a tombchest of Richard Swift (d.1645), with carved achievement; it was removed from the north chancel wall, probably in 1877. In the tower floor is a marble slab dated 1663.

Listing NGR: TM1180850827

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433474
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00316/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].