ALMSHOUSES AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251415

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Aug-1988

Statutory Address: ALMSHOUSES AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS, 1, 2, 3 AND 4, B4026

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALMSHOUSES AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251415 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 23:16:25.

Location

Statutory Address: ALMSHOUSES AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS, 1, 2, 3 AND 4, B4026

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Spelsbury

National Grid Reference: SP3500021776

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SPELSBURY B4026 SP3421-3521, SP3421-3521 (West side) 16/154, 17/154 Nos.1, 2, 3 and 4 Almshouses 27/08/57 and attached front garden walls (Formerly listed as Almshouses)

II

Row of 4 almshouses and garden wall. 1688 for John Cary, extended C20. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate roof with ashlar ridge stacks. Single-unit rear outshut plans with small rear-extensions. One storey plus attic. Symmetrical 4-gabled front has leaded 2-light stone-mullioned windows at both floors, and each cottage has a chamfered stone doorway with a ribbed oak door. Hipped roof has 3 stacks with plinths and moulded caps. Central moulded datestone, below a straight label, is inscribed "Cary/II/1688", A re-set stone sundial to extreme left has a scrolled hood with a cherub face and is probably C17. Rear of row has a catslide roof and 2 single-storey stone-tiled extensions. Interior: stop-chamfered spine beams; butt-purlin roof. Front garden wall, approx. 1.2m high, extends from both ends of the row and encloses a narrow area with a central gateway. The sundial is said to have come from the village poor-house. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p775)

Listing NGR: SP3500021776

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 434105

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 775

End of official listing