This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1251447

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Spelsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 434111

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SPELSBURY CHURCH LANE SP3421-3521 (West side) 16/157 Church of All Saints 27/08/57

GV II*

Church. C11/C12, C13, C14 and C15; tower partly rebuilt 1706, chancel rebuilt 1740, and nave and transepts probably largely rebuilt 1774 for the Earls of Litchfield; restored and chancel re-modelled 1851. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings; part-roughcast limestone rubble; sheet-metal and Stonesfield-slate roofs. Chancel, transepts, nave, north and south aisles, and west tower. Chancel and flanking transepts have steep stone-slate roofs with gable parapets. 3-light C19 Decorated-style east window is set into a wider C18 opening; gable walls of transepts have plain C18 round-headed recesses. Large square-headed 3-light windows with ogee tracery, casement moulds and labels, set into east walls of transepts, are (probably re-used) C15 work, and are matched by the side windows of the 2-bay aisles. Aisles also have further C18 recesses in their west walls. Plain parapets of aisles are repeated on the C15 clerestory which has square-headed 2-light windows. Lead rainwater heads are dated 1774. Roughcast lower part of broad 2-stage tower is probably C11/C12 and has shallow clasping pilaster strips extending to ground level, and central strips, terminating to north and south above vanished transepts or wings and on west side above a round-headed blind arch, partly destroyed by a 3-light C14 window with reticulated tracery. West doorway with complex continuous mouldings is also C14. Rubble upper stage of tower, with projecting ashlar quoins, is probably all of 1706 except the 2-light bell-chamber openings, with Cll/C12 round arches on turned shafts with cushion capitals, which are set into C18 outer arches; crenellated parapet has corner pinnacles. Interior: C19 chancel walls have full-height blind arcades containing the Lee tombs, and further arches opening to the transepts. Panelled stone reredos and piscina are probably also C19, as is the chancel arch springing from double shafts on angel corbels. Above the arch is a traceried vesica. 2-bay C13 nave arcades have arches of 2 chamfered orders on circular columns with moulded bases and capitals. Plain pointed C19 arches open eastwards to the transepts. Wide tower arch has C12 responds with square abaci and angle shafts with cushion capitals, but pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders is C13 or C14. Side walls of tower retain the hood moulds of blocked pointed arches. Fittings are all C19. Late-C19 stained glass in east window. A notable series of monuments includes numerous C17 and C18 brass coffin plates to members of the Lee family and to John, Earl of Rochester (d.1680). The chancel tombs include that of Sir Henry Lee (d.1631): a panelled alabaster chest carrying 2 recumbent figures surrounded by kneeling children with an elaborate canopy on black Doric columns carrying a heraldic achievement in a broken pediment; the first Earl and Countess of Litchfield (d.1716 and 1717/8): a white marble tablet flanked by scrolls, skulls and batswings below an achievement of arms; the third Earl (d.1772): a perspective of urns in an oval recess surmounted by an oak tree and cherub, designed by Henry Keene and sculpted by W. Tyler; and the fourth Earl (d.1776): a yellow marble sarcophagus surmounted by cherubs and a red marble urn, sculpted by W. Tyler. In the north transept is a large monument to the 14th Viscount Dillon (d.1865) with an effigy under an elaborate canopy with pierced cusping. The tower was probably formerly at the centre of a cruciform church with narrower arms, or was possibly originally a tower-nave; it may survive from a pre-Conquest building. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp774-5)

Listing NGR: SP3491921509

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 774-5

National Grid Reference: SP 34919 21509

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251447 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 05:08:24.

End of official listing