This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

KEEVIL MANOR WITH ATTACHED STABLES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KEEVIL MANOR WITH ATTACHED STABLES

List entry Number: 1251455

Location

KEEVIL MANOR WITH ATTACHED STABLES, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Keevil

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 434160

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KEEVIL MAIN STREET ST 95 NW (north side) 7/127 Keevil Manor with attached stables 11.9.68 GV I

Manor house. Circa 1580 for Thomas Lambert, porch added 1611, 1912 additions for General Dixon. Limestone ashlar front, rendered rubble stone returns, tiled gabled roof with ashlar stacks. Two- storey and attic, 5-window south front. Central 1611 two-storey porch with Tudor-arched doorway, shell-headed niches within, Tuscan columns and entablature to both storeys, 3-light mullioned and transomed casement to first floor, small trefoil-headed lights to sides. Cross window and 3-light mullioned and transomed casement either side to ground floor, moulded lintel string course, first floor has two 3-light mullioned and transomed casements flanking porch, four attic gables with 3-light mullioned casements with hoodmoulds, saddleback coping with finials; all windows are hollow-chamfered. Left return has two Tudor-arched doorways, right hand blocked, left with ledged door, two 3-light mullioned and transomed casements, one cross window and one 2-light mullioned casement, string courses, first floor with three 3-light mullioned and transomed casements, three attic gables with windows and detail as front. Right return has Tudor-arched ledged door right of centre, 3-light mullioned and transomed windows, cross windows or mullioned casements, triple attic gables as left return. Rear central courtyard, early C20 additions, mullioned and transomed casements to flanking original wings. Interior: Screens passage entered from south entrance, fine carved screen with two round arches, strapwork decoration, egg and dart pilasters. Hall to right has full panelling with Ionic pilasters, arched panels and richly-carved frieze and cornice, Tudor-arched stone fireplace in lateral position, ceiling has central plaster panel with foliage decoration. Library to left of entrance has linenfold panelling. South west room has C18 full panelling. North east room has fine plaster ceiling with thin-ribbed geometric design with floral motifs and fleur de lis, stone fireplace. Moulded cross-beamed ceiling to west entrance hall. Some richly- carved doors with 4 panels and cock's head hinges. Good stairs from ground floor to attics with round newels, pierced splat balusters, rear stairs have turned balusters to landings. North east bedroom has original plaster ceiling similar to room below, eared fireplace surround with floral drops, scrolled frieze and cornice. Attached to west is single-storey service range, altered c1912 with leaded casements and gabled dormers, 1912 square rubble stone water tower with lancets, Tudor-arched doorway and parapet. Attached to latter is former C17 or C18 stables, also altered, but retains moulded square doorway. Built for the Lamberts and owned by the Beach family from C17 to early C20, a fine example of a Wiltshire manor house retaining especially rich fittings. Group of impressive yew trees in garden, known as The Twelve Apostles. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Country Life, May 14, 1904; VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965)

Listing NGR: ST9191458144

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1965)
'Country Life' in 14 May, (1904)

National Grid Reference: ST 91914 58144

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251455 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 09:39:56.

End of official listing