THE HOLME

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251459

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1976

Statutory Address: THE HOLME, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE HOLME
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251459 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 02:08:51.

Location

Statutory Address: THE HOLME, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Menwith with Darley

National Grid Reference: SE 21642 59448

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MENWITH WITH DARLEY MAIN STREET SE 25 NW (south side)

14/126 The Holme

25.8.76

- II

House. Dated 1667. For William and Ellen Luty. Coursed squared gritstone incorporating an earlier timber-framed house; thatched roof. A low 2-storey- 4-bay building facing south with a continuous outshut along the rear. Quoins. C20 board door to bay 3 with chamfered quoined jambs and lintel cut to a shallow Tudor arch with a recessed panel and relief carving: 'WL 1667 EL'. Windows: recessed-chamfered mullioned throughout: of 5, 9 and 4 lights to ground floor, of 4, 4, 2 and 3 lights above. Continuous hoodmould above ground-floor windows. Shaped kneelers and shallow gable parapet to steeply- pitched roof. External stack at left gable; large ridge stack to bay 3. Interior not inspected at resurvey but reported to contain stone-arched fireplaces and timber work including panelling dated 1667 and board doors. Common rafter roof. The C15 or C16 timber-framed structure was examined in detail during restoration work c1983. It was an open hall with rear aisle, 7 ceiled parlour and lofted kitchen, slightly shorter than the present structure. The house has been restored following a fire in 1983, which destroyed much of the roof structure. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report No 43 (1973 and 1983).

Listing NGR: SE2164259448

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 434170

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report' in North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report, , Vol. 43, (1973)
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report' in North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report, , Vol. 43, (1983)

End of official listing