BOSWORTH PARK INFIRMARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1251547
Date first listed:
28-May-1987
Statutory Address:
BOSWORTH PARK INFIRMARY, THE PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOSWORTH PARK INFIRMARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251547.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 20:53:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOSWORTH PARK INFIRMARY, THE PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Hinckley and Bosworth (District Authority)
Parish:
Market Bosworth
National Grid Reference:
SK4083003329

Details

MARKET BOSWORTH THE PARK SK4003 9/64 Bosworth Park Infirmary

GV II*

Country house, now hospital. Largely of c1680-90 but with alterations of C1837-50 and additions principally in stable courtyards of 1885. Brick with ashlar dressings throughoutjlow pitched slate hipped roofs, probably C1837-50. Two storeyed. Entrance front raised on a terrace with stone balustrades and central flight of steps, is of nine bays (3-3-3). The central three bays project beneath a pediment with modillions, and tall fluted pilasters, and a shield of arms in the gable. Stone fluted pilasters mark the principal angles. Doorways and projecting central porch with broken segmental pediment and wrought iron fanlight above double doors. Windows are 15 pane sashes with flat arched gauged brick heads. South elevation raised on terrace with brick retaining wall with stone copings is of 11 bays (4-3-4) again with pedimented centre piece, the central bay of which is given further expression by stone pilasters and an open pediment to each window case. Shield of arms in gable. Internal detail spans a range of styles from the original house through to the major alterations of 1885. As an original survival, the staircase is notable, with moulded rail capped by ramified urns above the newels and slim turned balasters. It has however been re-arranged to form a straight flight. Raised and fielded panelling throughout may also be original work, but plaster ceilings which are largely heavy floral swags forming panels, though with some lighter motifs including strap work and pendants in one principal upper room is largely of 1885. Other detailing seems also to belong to this period, but some fireplaces are of the 18th century, and grisaille panels over some upper doorways are of the later C18. The entrance hall is completely of 1885 in a Tudor style with panelled ceilings and stone fireplace with carved wood over mantle. In the cellar are two doors removed from Newgate Prison cells in 1903. Stable courtyard to north of house is almost entirely of 1885 in a Dutch style with principal range to the north articulated by pilasters with a central shaped Dutch gable.

Listing NGR: SK4083003329

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
188123
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14257/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter J Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].