THE MUTTON

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251597

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: THE MUTTON, IPSWICH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MUTTON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251597 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 16:08:01.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MUTTON, IPSWICH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Offton

National Grid Reference: TM 07557 49083

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OFFTON IPSWICH ROAD TM 04 NE 6/148 The Mutton - - II House, formerly Public House known as The Shoulder of Mutton. Early C18 with alterations of later C18 and C19. 2 storeys, 3-cell plan. Timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled roof with axial chimney of red brick. Mainly 3-light C18 casements, some with transomes. C19 boarded entrance doors. Although the present structure appears to date from after 1700, almost all its main components are from a demolished C16 building with diamond-mullioned windows and a crownpost roof. The entire 1st floor structure over the hall is of massive C16 joists, and the cambered lintel over the wide hall fireplace is also C16. The remaining C18 work has slender joists and straight primary- based walling. In late C18, the service end to right was extended by one bay. In C19 an outshut to left and a small wing to rear were also added. A house on this site is mentioned in documents of c.1630, then known as Armigers. This building became a Public House c.1770.

Listing NGR: TM0755749083

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 434307

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing