PREMISES ON EAST CORNER OF NEW STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1251673

Date first listed: 09-Apr-1954

Statutory Address: PREMISES ON EAST CORNER OF NEW STREET, NEW PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PREMISES ON EAST CORNER OF NEW STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251673 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 07:39:17.

Location

Statutory Address: PREMISES ON EAST CORNER OF NEW STREET, NEW PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Devizes

National Grid Reference: SU 00436 61647

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1042 NEW PARK STREET (South West Side)

Premises on east corner of New Street (Also known as "Long's Stores") SU 0061 3a/169 9.4.54.

II*

2. Tobacco and Snuff factory, built as a silk mill by John Austie in 1785 (rainwater heads). Yellow stock brick on projecting coursed rubble base. 3 storeys plus a later 4th storey. Plain stone lst floor sill course. Panelled stone 2nd floor sill course. Plain stone frieze and moulded cornice at 3rd floor sill level. Shallow moulded stone cornice and small blocking course over 4th floor. Concealed hipped slate roof. Symmetrical 11 bay front with 4½ ins projection to 3 centre bays, through whole height. Centre part: 3 windows on 4th floor - 2 bulls eye windows on 3rd floor flanking top of wide 3 light lunette on 2nd floor - 2 windows and central hoist door on 1st floor - 2 windows and central double window in arched recess on ground floor. The flanking wings each have 4 windows to upper floors and on ground floor: 4 windows to left hand and 3 windows and recessed 6 panel door to right hand with plain rectangular fanlight. All windows, recessed sashes, glazing bars intact. Adjoining front to left is a yard entry with fine double cast iron gates between modern brick piers. Spear head rails and dog rails, cross bars. Inverted anthemion finials alternate with spear heads at top. The sidsde towards New Street was rebuilt in 1831. Similar design with cornice and sill courses returned, 3 windows to 4th floor, large tripartite lunette on 3rd floor, 2 windows to 1st and ground floor. Slightly recessed 3 storeyed extension of 2 windows. The interior has oak beams and elm joists. A plain building, carefully worked out. Dominates the street which is wide enough to avoid overpowering effect.

Listing NGR: SU0043661647

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 434432

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing