Church of Our Lady Immaculate and St. Ethelbert


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of Our Lady Immaculate and St. Ethelbert, Wellington Street


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251719.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2021 at 16:45:42.


Statutory Address:
Church of Our Lady Immaculate and St. Ethelbert, Wellington Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Slough (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SU 97665 79953


SU 97 NE 4/2

SLOUGH WELLINGTON STREET (south side) Church of Our Lady Immaculate and St. Ethelbert


Church (R.C.).1909-10, in a Perpendicular style. Flint with Bath stone dressings, string courses, and tile roofs separately over aisles. North-south orientation with north tower, five bay nave, aisles, north-west porch, north-east baptistery, three bay chancel, west transeptal chapel at north end of chancel, and west vestry.

Tower: three stages with angle buttresses, coped battlemented parapet and short lead-sheathed timber spire with weathervane. Two-light louvred bellstage openings on each face, quatrefoiled second stage square windows to north, east and west, and two-light first stage windows to east and west. Large first stage five-light north window with panelled tracery and doorway beneath with moulded arch, hoodmould with square stops, and two-boarded doors.

Nave: five two-light clerestory window to east and west.

Aisles: two-light west windows; four east aisle windows, that to south shorter, of two-lights except that second from north of three-lights; five west aisle windows all of two-lights except first and third from west of three-lights. North-west doorway with moulded arch, two boarded doors, and stoup to right.

Porch: angle buttresses, moulded four-centered archway, and virgin and child in canopied niche in gable end. Two-light windows to north and south.

Baptistery: angle buttresses and two-light west window.

Chancel: angle buttresses; two tall two-light east windows, one tall and two short two-light west windows, and large five-light south window with panelled tracery.

Transeptal chapel: gabled with bellcote to south-east and three-light east window with panelled tracery.

Vestry: one storey four-centered door to north.

Interior: five bay nave arcades with moulded arches dying away into octagonal piers with central shafts running up to king post roof. Tower and chancel arches with mouldings dying into jambs. Foiled piscina by east door. Chancel with three bay king post roof, low arches into east and west aisle chapels, and organ gallery to east. Fittings include three bay rood screen with panelled tracery, and carved octagonal stone font in baptistery.

Listing NGR: SU9766579953


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Maxwell, F, The History of Slough, (1973), 84-85
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Buckingham, (1908), 302
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1911), 178
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 3 February 2020 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/12943/37
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cano-Lopez. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].