THE GEORGE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251726

Date first listed: 12-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: THE GEORGE HOTEL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GEORGE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251726 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 15:19:59.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GEORGE HOTEL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Rother (District Authority)

Parish: Rye

National Grid Reference: TQ 92099 20399

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1578 HIGH STREET (South Side)

The George Hotel TQ 9220 1/85 12.10.51.

II GV

2. The hotel included several originally separate buildings of various dates from C15 to early C19. The Lion Street frontage consists of 2 timber framed cottages. The southern cottage dates from C15, the northern one from about 1600. 2 storeys, 2 windows each. Upper floors have been reconstructed and heightened probably in C18 but the jettying is still evident. Tiled roof. Upper storey tile hung, lower storey underbuilt with brick, now stuccoed. Upper storeys have Cl9 sash windows. Lower storeys have bay windows, those of the northern cottage with original glazing bars. Southern cottage has central doorway and passage through southern end to the back of the hotel. The VCH says that this lower storey and gateway have C15 ceiling beams. The main hotel block facing High Street has been underbuilt and has an C18 facade. 3 storeys and attic. Painted brick. Wooden dentil eaves cornioe. Tiled roof and 4 dormers. Windows with segmental heads, the centre one on th 1st floor surmounted by a heavy pediment. Porch with Doric columns and an iron railing above it in front of the pedimented window. The interior has open timbered ceilings and fireplaces and early C17 panelling. The western half of the High Street facade and the former Assembly Rooms (now the dining room) were built in 1818. Painted brick. 2 large, 3-light bow windows on the 1st floor. Later mansard roof with 3 dormers. Beneath the westernnost 1st floor window is the entrance to the Stable Yard now converted into a garage. The Assembly Rooms have a plastered ceiling and a Musicians' Gallery.

Nos 92 to 97 (consec) George Hotel and Nos 99 to 104A (consec) form a group.



Listing NGR: TQ9210920388

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 434508

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing