Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1251831

Date first listed: 29-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: GANTS MILL, SUNNY LANE


Ordnance survey map of GANTS MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251831 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2019 at 22:28:02.


Statutory Address: GANTS MILL, SUNNY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Pitcombe

National Grid Reference: ST 67444 34262


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



Water mill. Mostly C18 and C19, with late C13 origins. Local stone rubble with ashlar and brick dressings; plain clay tile roof between coped gables. "T"-plan; 3 storeys with attics; 8 bays, projection, then 4 bays to South elevation. All windows are 2-light casements, with segmental arched gauged brick heads; lights mostly replaced in the 4 right-hand bays, of C18; but some wood frames with leaded lights survive in the first 7 bays, the 1810 addition; other windows in this section blocked; old stable opening under timber beam bays 1 to 3, and to bay 6 a doorway with keystones to brick arch and approach stair ladder: 2 attic dormers remain in right hand section projecting wing probably of 1883, to accommodate steam engine and later turbine, with stone arched windows and small pane casement windows, main block of full height but with further single storey section: on North gable a timber, brick and tile extension formerly over part of mill pond. Interior construction timber based, but with early cast iron columns propping main crossbeams, and in some places old machinery spindles, etc, have been incorporated as props; roof trusses of West section probably of 1810, these in East section earlier. Mill still used (1983) for grinding animal feed and occasionally whole wheat flour, using mostly machinery of 1888; grindstones, conveyers, sackhoist and grain bins, and power from a turbine of that date, a 20" British Empire turbine by Armfields of Ringwood. First mill on this site was a fulling mill, soon two, erected about 1290; one mill probably demolished in C17 or C18 and the other adapted to cornmill; between 1800 and 1810 extended and fitted out as a silk mill, but by c1830 reverted to mill for flour and animal feedstuffs. Steam power introduced 1883, replaced by semi-diesel in 1914 but this unit sold c1940: former brick chimney now demolished. (G Shingler, Gants Mill, Bruton, unpublished leaflet, undated).

Listing NGR: ST6744434262


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 434673

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing