ST EDMUND'S CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL, WITH TEACHER'S HOUSE AND BOUNDARY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1251864
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1986
Statutory Address:
ST EDMUND'S CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL, WITH TEACHER'S HOUSE AND BOUNDARY WALL, WELBECK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST EDMUND'S CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL, WITH TEACHER'S HOUSE AND BOUNDARY WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251864.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 19:25:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST EDMUND'S CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL, WITH TEACHER'S HOUSE AND BOUNDARY WALL, WELBECK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Mansfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 54236 63316

Details

MANSFIELD WOODHOUSE WELBECK ROAD SK 5463 SW (north side) 7/75 St. Edmund's Church of England School, with teacher's house and boundary wall II School, teacher's house and boundary wall. 1845 and 1883. Tudor Revival style. Dressed stone with slate roof. Ashlar dressings. Plinth, chamfered eaves, coped gables with kneelers. Single side wall stack. Single and 2 storeys, 5 unequal bays. Irregular square plan. Windows are casements and lancets, most with hood moulds. Several doors have Tudor arched heads and hood moulds. South front has a gabled bay each end. To left, door flanked to left by 4 light lancet and to right by 2 casements. To its right, door with mullioned overlight and to its right, 2 casements. To right again, door, and to right, 4 light lancet. Above, to left, shield with hood mould, inscribed 'A D 1883'. To right, corbelled gabled bell turret, its base inscribed 'National School 1845'. East front has 2 buttresses. To left, 2 cross casements, and to their right, C20 casement. Above, to right, a gabled dormer. To right, projecting porch, 2 bays, with to south, Tudor arched door and mullioned casement. East gable has, above stone inscribed 'Girls'. North side has a cross casement. Teacher's house, adjoining to north, has link to left with door and parapet. East gable has a central mullioned casement on each floor. North gable has casement and door. Above, 2 casements. West front has C20 door flanked by single C19 and C20 casements. Above, to right, 2 different casements. Rear elevation has 2 C20 brick additions and to right, gabled stone porch. C20 casements. West end has central recess flanked by gabled bays. Mainly C20 casements. Return angle to south has stone cross casement. Adjoining boundary wall, dressed stone with gabled coping, has 2 square chamfered gatepiers. Approx. 60M long.

Listing NGR: SK5423663316

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434735
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13034/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mollie Toy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].