WARSOP BISHOP'S WALK
SK 56 NE
2/140 Warsop Parish centre
(formerly listed as
28.8.62 Warsop Old Hall
including rear wing
Parish centre (formerly Warsop Old Hall). C14, C15, C16, C18.
Converted 1972. Coursed squared rubble, dressed stone, steep
pitched pantile roofs. Ashlar dressings. 2 gable and single
ridge stacks. 2 storeys plus attics. 6 bays wide by 4 bays
deep. C-plan. Windows are mainly C20 casements. East front has
to left, blocked door flanked to left by a casement and to right
by 2 flush mullioned casements. Beyond, louvred opening and 2
casements. Above, to left, casement in moulded reveal flanked to
left by plain casement and to right by 2 flush mullioned
casements. Beyond, 2 casements. Above again, to left, 2 flat
roofed dormers. To right, barn east gable has a square breather.
Barn north wall, rebuilt 1972, has 3 rubble buttresses, 2
central blocked doors flanked by single full height glazed panels
replacing barn doors. Above, 2 breathers. West gable has
blocked door and above, central blocked opening. South side has,
to left, C20 door and flanking light. To its right, 3 blocked
doors. To right again, French window with overlight under
relieving arch. Above, to right, blocked C14 window. West
front, 3 bays, has external wooden stair, C20 and C20
fenestration. Rear wing, to west, 2 bays, has 2 coped gables
with kneelers. North side has casement with segmental head,
flanked by single doors, that to right with segmental head.
Above, to left, chamfered mullioned casement. To right, similar
blocked casement. To west, C19 lean-to brick addition with slate
roof. South front has to left, 2 storey canted bay window with
crenellated parapet and 3 light mullioned casement with hood
mould. To its right, external stack. To right again, chamfered
pointed blocked doorway with restored Gothic overlight.
projecting gable to right has 2 leaded mullioned casements.
Above, to left, 5 light C15 lancet with elliptical heads with
moulded reveal and hood mould, flanked by single similar lancets.
To right, a similar triple lancet with hood mould. To right
again, 3 unequally spaced trefoil headed single lancets. Above
again, to right, blocked chamfered pointed lancet. Interior has
chamfered C14 aumbry and above it, pair of square, chamfered
mullioned openings. Single large chamfered doorway. Barn has
restored 7 bay principal rafter roof. Cambered tie beams, butt
purlins, collars and wind braces. Flat rafters. East end has
half height C19 loft forming gallery. Reputed to be the most
important medieval house in the county. Probably the seat of the
De Sutton family. Sold in 1349 to John Nunnes of London and re-
sold in 1350 to Sir John de Roos. Later belonged to the Earls of
Rutland. Latterly a farmhouse.
Listing NGR: SK5674468837