LAMB HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1252151
Date first listed:
12-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
LAMB HOUSE, WEST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LAMB HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252151.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 05:46:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
LAMB HOUSE, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Rother (District Authority)
Parish:
Rye
National Grid Reference:
TQ 92048 20272

Details

1. 1578 WEST STREET (South East Side)

Lamb House TQ 9220 1/104 l2.10.51.

II* GV

2. This house was built at the beginning of the C18 by James Lamb, the founder of the family which more or less controlled Rye throughout the C18. 2 storeys. 4 windows. Red brick and grey headers on a high base of the same materials with a moulded ridge at the top. Pilasters of red brick and grey headers on high pedestals at the sides. Panelled parapet. Moulded brick architraves over the windows. Large flat hood over the door supported by carved brackets. 10-panel moulded door. To the north is a late C18 addition of 2 windows on the lst floor containing a double doorway with large semi-circular fanlight and round-headed window on the ground floor, also a stuccoed stringcourse. The house suffered bomb damage mainly in the back part of the addition. Except in the north east corner the damage to the house itself was not structural, but the single-storey building attached to the house at the south east corner and known as the Court House or Garden Room was entirely demolished. George I was entertained at Lamb House in 1725 and the Duke of Cumberland in 1757. A tablet on the house records that Henry James, Author, lived there from 1898-1916. Subsequently E F Benson, Author, lived there for some years until his death in 1940.

Nos 1 & 2, Norman House, The Tower House, Lamb House, Nos 13 to 17 (consec) and No1 Mermaid Street form a group.



Listing NGR: TQ9204820272

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435064
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07754/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].