ENTRANCE WING, WHITBREAD'S BREWERY (SOUTH SIDE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252350
Date first listed:
07-Jun-1995
Statutory Address:
ENTRANCE WING, WHITBREAD'S BREWERY (SOUTH SIDE), CHISWELL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENTRANCE WING, WHITBREAD'S BREWERY (SOUTH SIDE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252350.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 20:18:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
ENTRANCE WING, WHITBREAD'S BREWERY (SOUTH SIDE), CHISWELL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32492 81943

Details

TQ3281NW 635-1/78/240

CHISWELL STREET(South side) Entrance wing, Whitbread's Brewery (south side)

10/10/90

GV II Brewery buildings on Chiswell Street between the Partners' House and 53, Chiswell Street. The entrance bay probably of 1890-1, the wings to either side probably of c.1867, the attic storey to west and over entrance remodelled c.1955.

Yellow brick set in Flemish bond, stone or possibly stucco, roof obscured by parapet. Two and three storeys over basement; eighteen-window range. The Chiswell Street front has two similar wings flanking the slightly recessed entrance arch, five-window range to the west, three to the east, all three storeys over basement; and there is a longer wing to the east, with two storeys over basement and nine windows. Segmental-arched carriage entrance faced with stucco or stone, the bracketed arch with panelled soffit, console, keystone, panelled spandrels and dentil cornice. All windows flat-arched, that over the arch being tripartite with shouldered architrave, panelled mullions carrying consoles, entablature and central pediment; other windows with gauged brick heads; storey band level with cornice to arch bay, dentil cornice to the rest; attic storey with parapet, that part to west and over entrance lacking blocking course and stuccoed parapet. Stacks with oversailing courses to east range.

INTERIOR: west of the entrance arch, one room with panelling with much egg-and-dart moulding, partly C18 and partly reproduction, introduced in late C20: panelled dado, fine chimneypiece with mantelshelf on consoles in the Adam style, four doors with moulded architraves, three of them with moulded panels chamfered to an octagon, two with scrolled pediments. East of the entrance arch, the building is probably of c.1867, converted to offices in 1890-1, including a staircase hall with panelling to cornice height, architraves to doors, and staircase with ornate metal balusters.

(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).

Listing NGR: TQ3249281943

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435343
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16463/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].