TOWER HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252456

Date first listed: 03-Aug-1993

Statutory Address: TOWER HOSPITAL, CAMBRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252456 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 03:07:59.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWER HOSPITAL, CAMBRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Ely

National Grid Reference: TL 53309 79914

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:-

ELY CAMBRIDGE ROAD TL 57 NW 4/1000 TOWER HOSPITAL

- II



Workhouse, now a disused hospital. 1837-8 by WJ Donthom. Gault brick in Flemish bond with limestone dressings. Roofs with parapeted gable ends recently re-clad in artificial slates; W. wing and cross-wing clad in asbestos sheets. Brick gable end and lateral stacks. PLAN: E-shaped with large tower over central entrance wing and central rear wing behind. Tudor style. EXTERIOR: Low 2-storey ranges linking 3-storey wings. 1:5:3:5:1 bay east front. Gabled projecting wings to left and right of 3 storeys. Large central tower with embattled octagonal turrets at the comers with tall narrow windows, at the front a very large full height mullion transom window taking up the whole area between the turrets with a doorway at the base and a gable at the top with a clock and a bellcote, and between the turrets on the S side large mullion transom windows. Side elevations of N and S wings have central projecting gabled bays. Chamfered stone mullion transom windows. Central block behind tower has splayed gabled comers with 4-centred arch doorways and long rear (W) wing with cross-wing at the end, the ranges behind (W) have been altered or demolished. INTERIOR: Stone dog-leg staircase in central block with simple wooden balustrade with square newels and stick balusters. It accommodated 340 inmates. SOURCES: Victoria County History p.46. Colvin H, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 p.271. Buildings of England p.381.

Listing NGR: TL5330979914

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435474

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 271
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 381
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1989), 46

End of official listing