THE MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1252488

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1968

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252488 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 15:42:14.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Steeple Ashton

National Grid Reference: ST 90700 57170

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STEEPLE ASHTON CHURCH STREET ST 95 NW (off north side) 7/220 The Manor House 11.9.68 GV II*

Manor house. Dated 1647, for Bennett family. Limestone ashlar front, Flemish bond brick returns, stone slate roof with triple gabled front, ashlar stacks with moulded cappings. Two-storey and attic, 3-window. Central gabled stone porch with bolection-moulded doorway, ledged and studded door, open pediment over, ball finial to coped verge. Single-light moulded casement and 3-light moulded mullioned casement with dripstone either side. First floor has three 3-light mullioned casements with dripstones. Three attic gables each with 2-light mullioned casement with dripstone, saddleback coped verge with moulded finial, sundial to centre. Right return has 2-light mullioned casements with dripstones and bull's eyes, to right is large early C20 two-storey canted bay with cross windows. Rear wing has gabled stone porch with 2-light mullioned casement to first and 3-light to attic gable, first floor raised early C20. Left return has early C20 bow-fronted porch, C20 mullioned casement to left, 2-light mullioned casements and bull's eyes to first and attic floors. Rear range has C20 mullioned casements, early C20 single-storey extension to right. Central courtyard filled in c1900, mullioned window lighting stairs recently uncovered (February 1987). Interior retains good framed newel stairs with closed string, turned balusters, moulded handrail and square newels, 6-panelled doors in moulded architraves. Room to, right of entrance has reset wainscot panelling, large bolection moulded fireplace. Ovolo- moulded beams in the hall. Bennett family acquired the manor in 1624, built this house in 1647, sold the estate to Richard Long of Rood Ashton (q.v.) in 1799. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965)

Listing NGR: ST9070357168

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435416

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1965)

End of official listing