FLETCHER'S HOUSE (OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY MUSEUM)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252554
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Jul-1988
Statutory Address:
FLETCHER'S HOUSE (OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY MUSEUM), PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FLETCHER'S HOUSE (OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY MUSEUM)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252554 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 05:01:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
FLETCHER'S HOUSE (OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY MUSEUM), PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Woodstock
National Grid Reference:
SP 44376 16771

Details

WOODSTOCK PARK STREET SP4416NW (North side) 9/207 Fletcher's House (Oxfordshire 18/10/49 County Museum) (Formerly listed as Fletcher's House adjoining Barclay's Bank on East) GV II House, now museum. 1613/14 for Thomas Brown, alderman; extended to right and refronted c.1795 for Thomas Walker. Coursed limestone rubble; stone ashlar to right extension; stucco front. Gabled stone slate roof; brick end stacks. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys; 4-window range. To left of centre are 2 doorways. with overlights set in moulded stone architraves, one with C20 window and the other with 6-panelled door. All windows set in similar moulded stone architraves: tripartite sashes with glazing bars, and mid C19 three-pane sashes to left of door and to attic. Moulded stone cornice beneath parapet. Early C19 right-side wall, of 3-window range, has 6-pane sashes set in similar architraves, and semi-circular arched architraves to sash and C20 door with decorative fanlight below. Early C19 tripartite sash to rear right. Triple-gabled rear wall of C17 building has timber lintels over 6- and 8-pane sashes, and renewed 3-light cross window to attic. Interior: stone flag floors and early C19 panelled doors. Early C19 block to right has dog-leg with landing staircase with cast-iron balusters, wreathed handrail and stone treads; rooms have early C19 plaster friezes; fine fireplace to rear, in Adam style with Ionic engaged columns; room above has another fine fireplace with side paterae and reeded jambs. Early C17 building: chamfered and stop-chamfered beams, ogee-stopped on first floor; ground-floor ogee-moulded beams with ogee stops; early C19 dog-leg with landing staircase to rear, with stick balusters; from first floor to attic stair-well staircase is enclosed by timber-framed partitions and houses C17 dog-leg with landing staircase, which has heavy turned balusters set on closed string and newel posts with large ball finials; part of collar-truss roof with butt purlins survives. A drawing of 1777 shows that the C17 house was gabled to the front. The Duke of Marlborough probably gave the house to Thomas Walker, his auditor and Woodstock town clerk. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p868; Information from VCH)

Listing NGR: SP4437616771

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435546
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 868
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1939)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04049/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].