THE BEAR HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1252557
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Jul-1988
Statutory Address:
THE BEAR HOTEL, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BEAR HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252557 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 04:39:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE BEAR HOTEL, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Woodstock
National Grid Reference:
SP 44419 16728

Details

WOODSTOCK PARK STREET SP4416NW (South side) 9/215 The Bear Hotel 18/10/49 (Formerly listed as Bear Hotel) GV II* Two houses, now hotel. C17, to right; c.1720-30 to centre; c.1750 to left. Squared and coursed limestone; early C19 stucco front to C17 house on right. Gabled stone slate roofs with concrete tiles to part of rear; brick end stacks. L-plan with rear right wing. C17 house to right has gabled front of 2 storeys and attic; late C19 two-light casement and early C19 six-pane sash above square bay window with early-mid C18 six-pane sashes with thick glazing bars. Early C18 front to centre: of 2 storeys and attic; 4-window range. Fine C18 scrolled wrought-iron brackets support flat hood over C20 double doors with fanlight set in mid C18 moulded wood architrave with carvings af bears in spandrels. Flat stone arches over 6-pane sashes, and 2 early/mid C18 six-pane sashes with thick glazing bars to right of door. Two gabled roof dormers. Mid C18 front to left: of 3 storeys and attic; symmetrical 5-window range. Central segmental-arched carriageway with late C19 double doors. Flat stone arches over mid C18 six-pane sashes with thick glazing bars and 3-pane sashes to second floor. Raised storey bands; coved cornice. Hipped roof dormers with 2-light casements. Rear: early/mid C18 wing to centre, with hipped roof, has early C19 canted bay window with 6-pane sashes. Rear right wing consists of C18 and later ranges, with Welsh slate and stone slate roofs, remodelled in C20 as kitchens and suites. Interior: chamfered beams and mid C18 panelled doors set in moulded wood architraves throughout. C17 roof truss to right. Central range, of c.1720 with C17 origins, has C17 beams, arched stone fireplace with moulded architrave and carved spandrels, early C18 plaster cornice to left, and fine early C18 dog-leg stairs with winders and turned barley-sugar balusters set on closed string. Mid C18 range to left: open fireplace with wood bressumer to rear; plaster cornices; quarter-turn stairs with winders and turned balusters set on closed string from first floor to attic. The present Bear Hotel was formed in the 1750s and became the most important hotel in Woodstock, catering for visitors to Blenheim Park. (Information from VCH)

Listing NGR: SP4441916728

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435554
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1939)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04049/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].