This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBER 9 AND ATTACHED WALLS AND OUTBUILDING

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBER 9 AND ATTACHED WALLS AND OUTBUILDING

List entry Number: 1252571

Location

NUMBER 9 AND ATTACHED WALLS AND OUTBUILDING, 9, PARK STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Woodstock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jul-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 435574

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOODSTOCK PARK STREET SP4416NW (South side) 9/226 No.9 and attached walls and 18/10/49 outbuilding (Formerly listed as Old Town House) GV II Two houses, now house. C17. House to right of c.1810 for Henry North, town clerk. Coursed limestone rubble. Ashlar front, with banded rustication to ground floor. Gabled Welsh slate roof; end stacks of rendered stone finished in brick. Double-depth plan. Late Georgian style. 3 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. Early C19 beaded double doors with decorative overlight set in bracketed architrave with revealed panels. Keyed segmental tympanum arches over tripartite sashes with glazing bars. Raised storey band; flat arches over 6-pane sashes to first floor and 3-pane sashes to second floor; bracketed cornice. C17 house to left, remodelled in C19: of coursed limestone rubble with stuccoed upper storey and stone slate roof: 3-storey, one-window range has canted 2-storey bay window with 8-pane sashes; early C19 eight-pane sash above. Rear wall of C17 house heightened in mid C19 brick. C19 sashes and casements to rear. Interior: early C19 panelled dado in central hall; dentilled cornice and early C19 fireplace in room to right; early C19 quarter-turn stairs with winders and stick balusters in hall to rear. C17 house to left noted as having heavy chamfered beams. Subsidiary features: brick walls enclose garden approximately 50 x 10 metres to rear; of early C19 rat-trap Flemish bond to left. Mid/late C18 English garden wall bond with limestone rubble to rear wall adjoining Rectory Lane (q.v.). Early C19 outbuilding to rear, of brick and limestone rubble with concrete tile roof, is attached to outbuilding facing Rectory Lane of limestone rubble with half-hipped stone slate roof. (Information from VCH)

Listing NGR: SP4434116739

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1939)

National Grid Reference: SP 44341 16739

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252571 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 01:21:56.

End of official listing