BISHOPSTONE RAILWAY STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252605
Date first listed:
25-Aug-1987
Statutory Address:
BISHOPSTONE RAILWAY STATION, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BISHOPSTONE RAILWAY STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252605 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 17:13:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
BISHOPSTONE RAILWAY STATION, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Lewes (District Authority)
Parish:
Seaford
National Grid Reference:
TV 46928 99911

Details

SEAFORD STATION ROAD LXVII N.E. (south end)

1/16

II Bishopstone Railway Station

Railway station. 1936. Built by the Guildhall Development Company to provide station for housing estate. Two pillboxes added c.1940 at upper level. Now a British Rail Station. Brick and re-inforced concrete, Portland stone details, metal frame windows, flat roofs. Single storey. Symmetrical plan on axis of station forecourt: a tall, central, octagonal booking hall with lower rooms flanking the central recessed entrance to hall from forecourt which have quadrant ends returning to recessed side wings. A re-inforced concrete cantilevered canopy across the full width of the front reflects the profile of the plan. Continuous offset stone plinth in two courses with upper course set back. Canted sides to entrance flanked by half round pilaster strips at outer angles, a fixed metal frame window in each side set in a slightly recessed brick panel. Heavily moulded doorframe with pair of glazed panel doors. A 3-light metal frame casement with upper transom in the quadrants, double doors to shop in the right hand wing. Walls to front carried above canopy as a parapet capped by a stone course across centre and stone coping to wings. The drum of the octagon above parapet level and the two added pillboxes added to the side splays of the octagon are banded with one projecting brick course in every four. At top of octagon a concrete band with projecting strings to top and bottom below concrete roof slab with projecting eaves. Pillboxes have stepped outer splays to jambs and heads of gun ports formed in the ends and the rear side walls of the boxes. Parapet heightened between the boxes. A flagpole mounted against the front of the octagon projects through the eaves of the roof slab. Opposing doorway on railway side of booking hall leads to steel framed and plated canopied bridge with canopied steel stairs to both platforms. Hall is lined with white glazed ceramic tiles, terrazzo floor in tile pattern. Deep concrete cross beams to roof support grid panels inset with re-inforced glass bricks to provide top lighting. Booking office and other rooms to sides of hall not accessible. Design closely follows stations by Charles Holden for London Transport e.g. Arnos Grove and Bounds Green c.1932. Pillboxes, designed to appear to be part of station, are of special interest.

Listing NGR: TV4692899911

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435616
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14486/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Matthew Simister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].