THE OLD FIRS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252608
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
THE OLD FIRS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD FIRS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252608 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 03:31:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD FIRS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Steeple Ashton
National Grid Reference:
ST 90726 56781

Details

STEEPLE ASHTON HIGH STREET ST 9056 (east side) 13/241 The Old Firs (formerly listed as No 27) 11.9.68 GV II

Detached house. Late C15, late C17 with C19 and C20 addition. Square-panelled timber-framing on dressed limestone plinth with short buttresses, stone slate roof with axial stone stack, brick C19 and C20 additions. Entrance in C20 altered wing at right angles to 4-bay cross wing. C20 door and C20 casements to 2-storey flat-roofed west-facing front; possibly on site of former hall range. Cross wing to right has large 2-light casement, fixed window to ground floor and single-light and 2-light casement to first floor. Gable end facing street has 2-light ground floor casement and early C20 leaded oriel to jettied first floor, restored barge boards with same decoration as on No 54 High Street (q.v.). Right return of cross wing has 2-light casement to ground and first floor, right half rebuilt in dressed limestone and with datestone inscribed KD/1699; French windows to ground and single and 2-light casements to first floor. Rear gable end of wing has casements, rear of C20 altered range has casements. Single-storey rubble stone service wing to rear right probably C17 and altered early C20 with planked door, casements and gabled dormer; probably originally timber-framed. Interior: Cross wing has front parlour with moulded cross beams with foliage-carved central boss, open fireplace with chamfered stone lintel on plain stone jambs. Winding stairs against axial stack with wainscot door below, wainscot doors to ground floor, rear parlour has chamfered beam with ogee stops, rebuilt C17. Solar over front has fine deep-arch braced cambered collar truss, moulded soffits, chamfered purlins with two tiers of curved windbraces; the upper concealed by ceiling, stone Tudor-arched chamfered fireplace, probably an insertion. Rear chamber has ceiling and loft over with 2-bay collar truss roof, some reused timbers with smoke-blackening. The solar wing is all that remains of a hall house on this site, the 1699 rebuilt east end and the rebuilt hall suggest that the house may have been partly fire damaged. A serious fire is known to have taken place in Steeple Ashton in 1500. (Country Life, 23 October, 1942)

Listing NGR: ST9072756779

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435511
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 23 October, (1942)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00308/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ron L Pybus. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].