This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ASHTON HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ASHTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1252656

Location

ASHTON HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Steeple Ashton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jan-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 435522

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STEEPLE ASHTON HIGH STREET ST 9056 (west side) 13/251 Ashton House (formerly listed with No 34) 11.9.68 GV II*

House with cottage attached to left. Hall house of c1400 with C16 alterations and additions, refronted 1724 by Stileman family, extended and restored 1924 by Sir Harold Brakspear for Mr. Harding Tyler. Limestone ashlar front to timber-framed ranges, double- roman tiled roof with stone stacks with moulded cappings. Three- bay open hall with solar wing to south, C16 front range, 1920s long rear service wing and north extension. Two-storey, 5-window. Central 6-panelled door in moulded architrave with scrolled pediment on consoles, acanthus-leaf ball finial, two cross windows either side, chamfered quoins, lintel string course. First floor has five 12-pane sashes with panelled aprons, moulded stone cornice to high parapet with blind windows and panels, lead rainwater goods dated 1724 with initials CS (Christian Stileman). 1924 single- storey 2-bay service extension in similar style attached to right, lead rainwater heads dated 1924/AMHT. Right return has 2-light mullioned casements to first floor. Rear of main range has square- panelled timber-framing, 3-light cyma-mullioned casement, oriel hall window and planked door to right, 3-light wood mullioned casement to first. Long 1924 wing attached to right is rubble stone with stone slate roof, planked doors left and right, mullioned casements and bull's eyes to ground and first floors, central cylindrical projecting stair turret with conical roof, south side of wing has 3-bay loggia at west end, similar windows. Interior: Three-bay open hall with C16 stone stack inserted in north bay; fireplace with Tudor-arched surround, cornice and herringbone brick back, fine arch-braced collar truss roof with moulded soffits, 2 tiers of curved windbracing and restored carved and brattished wall plate. Solar on south side originally 4 bays, east bay partly truncated by 1724 front, arch-braced collar truss roof with moulded soffits, two tiers of windbracing to chamfered purlins, truss in west end altered to a tie-beam truss in C20, C16 timber-framed partition and inserted fireplace. Entrance hall added to east side of hall in early C16; heavily-moulded cross beamed ceiling, exposed joists, moulded stone fireplace with depressed arch and cornice, C16 framed newel stairs with turned balusters, closed string and square newels. First floor chamber with similar moulded cross beams, depresssed arched stone fireplace, traces of wall painting above planked door leading to C16 gallery inserted along east side of hall. C16 cottage attached to left of front; rendered timber-framing, double roman tiled roof with grouped brick stack to right. Two-storey, 1-window; C19 panelled door to right, 16-pane sash to left and 3-light leaded casement to first floor. Rear has outshut with hipped dormer. Interior of cottage has winding stair beside stack. (Country Life, October 30, 1942; Wiltshire Buildings Record, Devizes)

Listing NGR: ST9064656887

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 30 October, (1942)

National Grid Reference: ST 90663 56884

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252656 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 02:24:12.

End of official listing