THE HERMITAGE, MANOR GARDENS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252675

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1989

Statutory Address: THE HERMITAGE, MANOR GARDENS, BOROUGH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE HERMITAGE, MANOR GARDENS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252675 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 23:11:19.

Location

Statutory Address: THE HERMITAGE, MANOR GARDENS, BOROUGH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Eastbourne (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TV 59986 99264

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:

TV 59 NE; TV 5998 9926 EASTBOURNE BOROUGH LANE 12/115 (east side, off)

The Hermitage, Manor Gardens II

Gazebo to Manor House (qv). Late C18. Rendered brick (now pebble-dashed); thatched roof. Octagonal symmetrical comparison in Gothic style. Single-storey. Brick plinth from which there rise, on each of the 5 front bays, ogee-arched wooden architraves with crescent finials and flanking quatrefoil panels. 2 stone steps up to doorway (door removed), the architrave having pilasters with strings and plain capitals. The openings to the 2 flanking bays on each side have panelled bases and bottom-hinged shutters (removed from left-hand bays) which conceal ogee-headed sashes with decorative glazing bars, the glazing bars mostly removed. The 3 rear bays each have a bow with semi-conical thatched roof (thatch mostly removed). Wooden eaves cornice. Roof surmounted by spiked and petalled, swept, finial. Interior: board lining with plinth, dado rail and cornice; an ogee-arched architrave to each side, the 3 rear sides with alcoves; at top of each side a moulded bush garland descends from ribband and drapes over floral medallions. In state of dereliction at time of inspection. The gazebo was built either for the Rev H Lushington who built Manor House shortly before 1777, or for C Gilbert who purchased the house in 1792. A colour-wash drawing of the gazebo was made by T Poppleton during the first decade of the C19.

Listing NGR: TV5998699264

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 293631

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing