CHURCH OF ST ELISABETH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252676
Date first listed:
08-Feb-1994
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Aug-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ELISABETH, VICTORIA DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ELISABETH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 00:04:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ELISABETH, VICTORIA DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Eastbourne (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 59064 00597

Details

TQ5800 11/10009

EASTBOURNE VICTORIA DRIVE (east side) Church of St Elisabeth

(Formerly listed as Church of St Elizabeth)

II

Parish church. Foundation stone laid in 1935, architects D Stonham and Son and A.R.G Fenning. Built of red brick in English bond with Clipsham stone dressings and tiled roof. Floor and roof trusses are in pre-cast suspended reinforced concrete and the pitched roofs have light steel trusses and timber joists. Wide nave with narrow aisles and choir and chancel of equal height. East end has Lady Chapel to east of north transept which has an organ loft over and south transept has library over and attached bellcote. In addition to the west door are NW and SW porches to the narthex, which contains the baptistery and north and south porches at east end of the nave. Tall west front with gabled parapet and almost full-height tapering brick buttresses. West window is a traceried lancet with trefoil heads. Arched west door flanked by side lancets and gabled parapet. Aisles have 3 tall lancets with traceried windows divided by buttresses and narrow aisle with 2 triple casements and gabled porches. North transept has gable to north and mullioned windows. South transept similar but with bellcote. Chancel has 2 traceried windows. East end is blank except for triple mullioned window to former basement classroom. Two storey flat-roofed porches to NE and SE. Interior has arcade with Clipsham stone arches, octagonal Clipsham stone font and 2 Clipsham stone pulpits. Ribbed ceiling and unusual polygonal-shaped lights suspended from brackets. Transepts have arched openings at first floor level. Metal screen to Lady Chapel. Light oak pews to nave and choir. Travertine marble floor to chancel. Wrought iron altar rail. Around the sanctuary is a sequence of fixed painted panels depicting scenes such as the Annunciation and the Baptism of Christ, in a pure Italian quatrocento style. They are signed E.W. Tristram, 1938. (Tristram was the leading authority on English Medieval wall paintings and their conservation.) In a basement room there survives an important painted mural sequence, depicting the Pilgrim's Progress in a free expression style by Hans Feibusch, 1944. These murals are of special historic interest. [See "Architects' Journal" April 4, 1940.]

Listing NGR: TQ5906400597

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
293633
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Architects Journal' in 4 April, (1940)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01564/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Nash. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].