LITTLEFIELD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252912

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1974

Statutory Address: LITTLEFIELD, BATH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLEFIELD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252912 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 10:42:55.

Location

Statutory Address: LITTLEFIELD, BATH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Marlborough

National Grid Reference: SU1805068805

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BATH ROAD 1. 5407 (North Side) Littlefield

SU 1868 5/149 II 2. 1870 (designed). 1871-2 built. Architect G E Street. Built in concrete to the patent method of Charles Drake, who lectured on it to the Civil and Mechanical Engineers Society in 1875 (reported in Building News 25 June 1875). A very early use of concrete indeed, with flint aggregate and lump chalk packing. Cement rendering, A little tile-hanging under eaves, but otherwise no attempt to conceal the material. Brick strings at plinth and lst floor sill level. Pitched tile roofs. Tall brick stacks with elaborate cornicing. 3 storeys and basements. Study and dormitory wing to west was formerly the mirror image of that to east of Cotton House, but was burned down and rebuilt in a subdued New Brutalist manner circa 1960. Remainder on irregular plan, each part with its own pitched roof. Very steep proportions. Windows are mullioned and transomed casements in flush frames, with moulded cornices over (no transoms on 2nd floor). 2 doors, planked, with contemporary iron hinges, both with mullioned oblong fanlights, 1 arched.

Listing NGR: SU1805068805

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 310275

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Building News' in 25 June, (1875)

End of official listing