Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252932.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 18:49:14.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Croydon (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33964 68575


The following building shall be added:


TQ 36 NW 2/101 Stanley Technical High School and Stanley Halls II

Technical trade school and public halls and art gallery. Main hall and gallery, 1901-03, second hall 1904, trade school 1907, secretary's house, 1909. By W F Stanley, inventor, manufacturer of precision instruments, and Utopian philanthropist. The trade school was based on German Gewerbeschulen. Free style, with debased Italianate detail. Red brick, in English bond and stone, with stone including granite dressings. Slate, lead and copper roofs. Terracotta ornament. Range of buildings comprising technical trade school, small hall, clock tower, art gallery, large hall and residence of secretary and manager, comprising administrative offices and activities room. Technical School. 4 gabletted bays of 2 storeys. 3 storey tower over entrance to left. Canopied entrance, with campanile to rear. Hall to right. Tower. Stone, of 3 stage ground floor open porch supported on granite colo- nnettes. 1st stage. Each face 2 oval panels set vertically, with panels at angles, all of pink granite except two glazed panels to roadside. Upper stage; keyed glazed oculus to each face. Ogival copper roof with finial. Two Storey Range. brick, with stone dressings. Slate roofs, the gablets lead roofed. Each bay has 2-light mullion with sashes with plain glass. Ground floor aprons have granite panel. First floor aprons a terracotta panel. Circular ornament to the gablets, which terminate in finials. Right hand bears plaque inscribed"Stanley Technical Trade Schools 1908". Entrance between granite colonnettes supporting timber canopy with ornate drop finials and leaded roof. Pair of part glazed panelled doors beneath semicircular fanlight with stained glass in rectangular panes, and all with stone architrave. To rear tall brick campanile with moulded stone bands. The upper stage open, of stone piers supporting ogival copper roof. Small Hall. Lean to leaded roof over passage to front of hall. 3 bays, arranged 2:3:2 corresponding with hall facade above. Sashes with Art Nouveau stained glass, separated by granite colonnettes, all in stone architraves; below stone aprons with sunk granite panels. Flush stone band at cill level. Hall windows arranged 1:3:1. Central 3-light window has semicircular headed lights with stained glass, all beneath segmental headed architrave. To left and right similar single lights. Above each, columnar finials break through stone coping of gable, those to left and right retaining terracotta vases of tulips. Angle pilasters, corresponding detailed slate roof. Clock Tower. 3 stages, stone with granite dressings. Lower stage has ¼ granite columns set back at angles. Semicircular arched niche to each face, that to rear containing bronze figure above inscribed motto Labor Omnia Vincit. 2nd stage, detailed as tower to left with ovate granite panels, one glazed. Upper stage. Clock faces set between granite colonnettes. Polygonal cornice, ogival copper dome. Part glazed panelled door to right, beneath simple canopy and overlight with stained glass. Art Gallery. Behind single bay entrance. Top lit, felt clad hipped roof, with plain rectangular panels forming clerestory. Gabled facade, with stone coping. Paired panelled doors beneath canopy on iron brackets. Niche above,for bust, flanked by enwreathed shields, and beneath shaped architrave with finial. Large Hall. Symmetrical, of 3 bays, beneath single gable, masking slate roof. Central entrance. Pair of part glazed panelled doors beneath canopy supported on granite colonnettes. 4 bay system above, containing at first level four rectangular windows, at 2nd level arcade of semicircular arched niches, supported on granite colonnettes, and containing moulded bases for busts. Above, four tall lights beneath slighly pointed arches; ornate iron to front of windows appear as mullions. Art Nouveau glass behind. Folliate spandrels, bosses and capitols. To left and right, two stages of sashes with stained glass. The lower stage separated by a granite mullion, the upper stage by a chamfered stone mullion as the architrave. Stone aprons with recessed granite panels. Lunette above moulded stone band has central niche for bust, flanked by granite colonnettes, and to left and right glazed terracotta panel of a reclining figure. Keystone bearing mask, above which rise columnar finials with rectangular caps. That above central window carries figure. Residence of Secretary and Manager. Two storeys, two irregular bays with entrance at angle. First bay, 3-bay window to each storey, rectangular sashes to ground floor, semicircular arched to upper floor. Single bay window similarly detailed, to second bay. The upper lights of the first floor windows have stained glass. Terracotta aprons with swags to first floor windows. Simple entrance to left, above which is inscribed 'Residence of Secretary and Manager'. Above moulded rondel. Terracotta dressings to finials and pediment over 3-bay window. To right, entrance behind angled porch supported on heavy granite columns Interior of porch lined with majolica and other glazed tiles. Pair of part glazed, panelled doors. Interior. Technical School. Basement workshops, lit from rear. Now with modern fittings. Three classroom, library now computer room. Small Hall. Timber arch rib 5-bay roof. Marble pilasters, with brass bases and dado rail. Tiled dado. Proscenium arch flanked by marble niches and panelling. Elaborate plasterwork friezes and cornices. Panelled doors. Marble niches flank roadside windows. Circular iron vents over proscenium arch, part of ventillation system. Link up passage to art gallery contains rondel depicting art, by C Wilkes RA. Art Gallery. Top lit by clerestory windows, each bay strengthened with scissor trusses. Arch braced roof rising from corbels. Ornamental plasterwork frieze and dada. Ornamental rondels between the bays of the roof. Niches for busts. Large Hall. Similarly detailed to small hall. Arch-rib roof of steam bent timbers. Proscenium arch supported on corinthian columns, flanked by panels divided by pilasters linked by swags. Plaster frieze above, of putti and foliate swags 3 busts set in panel above. Above arch, lunette inscribed 'justice, liberty, science', formerly with seated figures (replaced in polystyrene). Suns rays in timber radiate from it. Roof supported on marble pilasters with brass bases; brass dado rail, tiled dado. Clerestory windows of 3 lights. Ornamented iron grilles, part of ventillation system. Gallery to rear carries clock inscribed "time flies, mind your business". Stair in Secretary's House, lined with glazed tiles, as are the risers, newels and balusters. The group form an exceptional example of the work of a local benefactor. The Trade School was the first in this country, and still operates.

Listing NGR: TQ3396468575


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Dec 2006
Reference: IOE01/15696/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].