This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STOKE CANON BRIDGE AND CAUSEWAY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STOKE CANON BRIDGE AND CAUSEWAY

List entry Number: 1253020

Location

STOKE CANON BRIDGE AND CAUSEWAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stoke Canon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Mar-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 86136

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:

STOKE CANON SX 99 NW 3/38 Stoke Canon bridge and causeway - II* Road bridge over River Exe and causeway. Probably C15 rebuilding of earlier medieval bridge; widened and partly rebuilt in early C19. Ashlar and dressed Tharveton stone. The 3-span bridge over mainstream of river has 3 chamfered segmental arches and piers with cutwaters on both up and downstream sides, and a double-chamfered 2-centred flood arch to north. The east side of the flood arch and both sides of the main stream arches have been widened in circa early C19 with unchamfered segmental arches with stringcourses above at road level but incorporating the medieval bridge. A long causeway to south with 2 circa early C19 flood arches and a mill race arch at its south end, all with segmental arches without stringcourses above. Low parapets with saddle-back coping, replaced in concrete in places. In 1326 Bishop Stapledon gave £4 for the upkeep of the bridge. In C17, on his way to Truro from Exeter, Ogilby mentioned a bridge with nine arches and a further arch at the north end he called "Swine Bridge". In 1809 James Green, the County Surveyor, stated that there were 3 main arches, one flood water arch to north east and 3 to south west and an arch over the mill water; the carriageway he noted was 10 1/2 feet wide and "the whole bridge requires considerable repair". Therefore it is probable that it was repaired and widened soon after 1809. Source: C Henderson and E Jervoise, Old Devon Bridges, p.56.

Listing NGR: SX9380897526

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, Jervoise, E , Old Devon Bridges, (1938), 56

National Grid Reference: SX 93808 97526

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253020 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 08:50:38.

End of official listing