This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LIVESEY MEMORIAL HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LIVESEY MEMORIAL HALL

List entry Number: 1253110

Location

LIVESEY MEMORIAL HALL, PERRY HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lewisham

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1995

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Aug-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436244

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3672 PERRY HILL

779-/31/10050 Livesley Memorial Hall

II

Recreation Hall. Built 1911 by S.Y.Shoubridge for the employees of the South Suburban Gas Company. Erected as a memorial for Sir George Livesey (1834-1908), Chairman of the company. London stock brick (made by the Gas Company) on concrete foundations with Burmantoft terracotta dressing. Red-tiled shallow pitched roof with hipped ends and finials. Single storey 'E' plan with steps rising to square, double-arched central entrance porch. Entrance doors of hardwood with six panels hung folding in two leaves, with semi-circular fan light above. Above the porch, a terracotta balustrade with comer piers topped with pierced urn-like finials. A large faience panel above porch arches depicts a beige banner and floral stems on a green ground. Raised letters in oxblood: 'LIVESEY MEMORIAL HALL.' Building stretches four bays either side of porch, with last bay forming pedimented gable end pierced by Venetian windows. Doric pilasters divide the other bays, each has a rectangular window set in round-headed terracotta surrounds, also at rear. Small paned, clear-glazed windows. INTERIOR. Large hall with raised stage at south end. Coved ceiling; classical cornice and pilasters divide the walls into bays. Billiard room and reading room to the right now form an open bar area. HISTORY. Much of the building work was carried out by the Gas Company itself George Thomas Livesey, knighted in 1902, initiated many technical improvements in the design of gas holders. He was the builder of the Greenwich Gas Works (1883) and was a pioneeer of Co-partnership (profit-sharing) within the industry.

Listing NGR: TQ3655172102

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 36551 72102

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 11:57:25.

End of official listing