CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1253207

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253207 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 16:10:40.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Londonthorpe and Harrowby Without

National Grid Reference: SK 95329 38031

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 93 NE LONDONTHORPE & HARROWBY CHURCH LANE WITHOUT Londonthorpe 2/33 Church of St. John the 20-9-66 Baptist

G.V. II*

Parish Church; C13, C14, C15, with C19 alterations and additions. Coursed rubble limestone and ashlar with plain tile and lead roofs. Western tower, nave with clerestorey, 2 aisles, chancel, southern porch, vestry. C13 coursed rubble tower in 2 stages with corner buttresses. C13 single light west window, C13 belfry openings to all faces. Spire replaced in C19 with saddle back plain tile roof. Ashlar north aisle rebuilt C19, vestry dated 1852. C19 chancel same height and width as nave. 3 light east chancel window, south chancel windows two 2-light with 3 light above. C15 south aisle; battle- mented and richly pinnacled at buttresses with large grotesque gargoyles draining lead roof. East, west and 2 south aisle windows all C15, 2 light with 4 centre arches under hood moulds, with decorated label stops. Clerestorey, north and south, C15 with moulded parapet concealing lead roof. Four 3-light windows under continuous hood mould. South porch battlemented and pinnacled with central cross, over steeply pointed C15 doorway with moulded imposts. South door has C15 small niche over. Stone side benches to porch. Interior C13 3 bay south arcade with double chamfered arches with clustered piers, 4 keeled and stiff leaf capitals. 3 bay north arcade c.1300 with double chamfered arches and plainer moulded capitals. Tower arch as north aisle but with triple chamfer. Evidence of C13 roof pitch on west wall. C19 chancel arch. C14 ogee arch recessed into north aisle contains stone effigy of recumbent knight. Sculpture fragments of C13 stone coffin lid with foliated cross and part of wheelhead cross. C15 octagonal font with quatre- foils containing shields on each face. Chancel screen has partial medieval frame, all decoration C19. C19 plain wooden pulpit. C17 altar rail with balusters.

Listing NGR: SK9532938031

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436359

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing