CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253286 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 09:37:35.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Kesteven (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 04416 33679
TF 03 SW PICKWORTH CHURCH LANE
6/56 Church of St. Andrew
Parish Church: C12, C13, C14, C15 and 1659. Ashlar and coursed limestone rubble with slate, lead and plain tile roofs. Western tower, nave, 2 aisles, chancel, south porch. C12 tower refaced and raised in ashlar in mid C14 having 3 stages with triple moulded plinth and 2 string courses. Stepped corner buttresses. South side 2nd stage has traceried circular panel with hood mould round 3 sides. West side has in 1st stage C14 single light with ogee tracery and in 2nd stage a small recent C12 round headed light. To 3rd stage, on all faces, are 2 light C14 belfry openings with reticulated tracery. Broach octagonal spire with 3 tiers of alternating lucarnes. Lowest lucarnes of 2 lights with cross fleury to ridge. 2nd and 3rd tiers, of 2 lights and single light respectively, have crocketed gables. Top of spire has finial. North aisle, part ashlar, part coursed rubble with plain tile roof, has plain plinth, low string course at cill level and splayed cornice at eaves. The west window is C13 2 light with geometric tracery. The north side has 3 bays with 4 stepped buttresses. A central C14 door with hood mould and simple label stops is flanked by 2 reticulated traceried 3 light windows with flat heads and hood moulds. The ashlar clerestorey has been raised by a few courses of rubble and has a lead roof. 5 shallow stepped buttresses form 4 bays each having late C14 triangular headed 2 light windows with reticulated tracery. The original steeper pitch of the nave roof is visible on the east end of the nave. The ashlar chancel has a slate roof with stone coped gable and cross fleury to ridge. It has a triple moulded plinth. The north window is C14 3 light with flowing reticulated tracery. The east end has corner buttresses and a C14 4 light curvilinear traceried window with hood mould. The south side has a C14 3 light window with flowing reticulated tracery and hood mould. An C18 tablet with moulded surround refers to a will to uphold an adjacent monument. In the corner between chancel and south aisle is a C14 ogee headed single light with transom. The south aisle is ashlar with a slate roof. On its east side is a circular projection housing the rood loft stairs. The east south aisle window is a C14 2 light reticulated traceried window. The south side has plain buttresses making 4 bays including the porch. The 2 easternmost bays have 2 C14 3 light windows with reticulated tracery, with square heads; the western bay contains a similar 2 light window. The south porch is ashlar with slate roof and is dated 1659 on the east angle corner buttress. The plinth is decorated with panels containing paired quatrefoils. To either side are large gargoyles and the parapet is heavily battlemented. The opening is a slightly flattened double chamfered semi circular arch. The porch has stone side benches. The doorway has C13 nook shafts and a C14 arch with hood mould and human mask stops. The door is C14 and has decorated hinges and straps. Interior: Both aisles have matching 4 bay arcades with circular piers and double chamfered pointed arches. The arches are C14 but the bases, piers and responds could be reused C12. The north aisle appears to have been moved out as it is off centre from the tower. Against the tower wall is a large buttress built off a circular base, which could mark the position of the earlier C12 aisle. Various traces of earlier nave roof pitches can be seen in the tower wall. The south aisle has a piscina with ogee head at the west end and a piscina on a horizontal figure with a highly decorated crocketed ogee head with finial and human mask label stops at the east end. Also 2 statue brackets with a headless C14 painted figure of Mary Magdalene in the northern one. The north aisle has a blocked door, C14 piscina and further statue bracket. The tower has a small plain double chamfered C13 pointed arch. The nave roof is C15 arch braced with moulded oak beams and purlins. The newel stairs to the rood loft remain complete. The C14 chancel arch is double chamfered and without responds. It bears the
mortice holes for a painted panel now removed. In the chancel is a C14 sedilia with 3 ogee arches and a crocketed and pinnacled small ogee piscina. In the north wall is a plain aumbry. The roof is C17. Furnishings; The C14 rood screen is in 8 panels with 2 centrally placed over the door opening. It has delicate tracery featuring oak leaves and scorns with a curved canopy. It was heavily restored in 1966 when the canopy was entirely replaced. The pews are C14 with bench ends having carved panels depicting elements of tracery design. The pew backs all have moulded top rails. The front pair incorporate C14 reused tracery. The 2 decker pulpit is dated "RSC 1693". The altar rail with turned oak balusters is inscribed "Ed Wells Church Warden 1767" and "Jos Dabell Fecit". There is C17 oak wainscott panelling to the west end of the south aisle. The font is a C12 circular tub on octagonal base. The only monument is a wooden memorial tablet on the west wall of the nave to Thomas Gibson d.1622. Over the chancel arch, to the north clerestorey and part of the south clerestorey are C14 wall paintings dated to c.1380 by Mr. Clive Rouse. Over the chancel is a doom, the top now obscured by the lower C15 roof. On the north are 3 scenes of the Ascenscion, the 3 kings and 3 skeletons and of St. Christopher. On the south side is the cauldron of Hell. Over these paintings are stencil patterns of sexfoils and cinque foils of C15. On the south aisle are C17 wall paintings of texts. A lightly incised and painted consecration cross can be seen on the nave east wall. A C19 boiler by C. Portway & Sons of Halstead, Essex stands in the nave. The C14 rebuilding of the church is said to date from 1356, prabably by the Pickworth family.
Sources: Vicars notes and articles by Clive Rouse in the Illustrated London News: January 3rd, 1948 and Lincoln Architecture and Archaeology Society W.S. IV, 1951, p.57.
Listing NGR: TF0441633681
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Illustrataed London News' in 3 January, (1948)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing