This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BROOK COTTAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BROOK COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1253481

Location

BROOK COTTAGE, SYCHEM LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Capel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Aug-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436708

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 64 SW CAPEL SYCHEM LANE, FIVE OAK GREEN

5/284 Brook Cottage

GV II

Small farmhouse. Early/mid C17, extensively modernised circa 1949 after bomb- shock damage in the Second World War, some circa 1980 modernisations. Timber- framed on brick footings and clad with peg-tile above first floor level, brick stack and chimneyshaft; peg-tile roof.

Plan: 2-room lobby entrance plan house facing north west. The left (north eastern) room was probably the kitchen and the right one the hall. Stairs rise in a turret projecting to rear of the stack. Rear service blocks were new built or much altered circa 1949 although there does seem to have been an original unheated room to rear of the parlour, maybe a buttery or dairy.

Main block is 2 storeys with attics in the roofspace with 2-storey and single storey ancillary blocks to rear.

Exterior: The framing is close studded. Essentially symmetrical front with 2 ground floor windows and 4 windows on the first floor, all C20 windows with ovolo-moulded mullions, iron casements and diamond panes of leaded glass. (There are similar windows around the rest of the main block). The windows reuse some old glass, some of the panes tinged green. In places the disposition of the windows has been altered. For instance there is evidence on the front frame for 4 original ground floor windows. Central doorway has original oak frame with richly-moulded surround and contains a C20 Tudor-style door with coverstrips and ornate strap hinges. Gabled timber-framed porch is C20 but includes some reused timbers and side windows have grilles of turned balusters. There is a similar smaller version to rear of the left end wall. Main roof is tall and steeply pitched and is half-hipped both ends. The stair turret also has a half-hipped roof. It is flanked by flat-roofed extensions and behind that a Victorian animal house has been brought into domestic use.

Interior: The supposed kitchen has an ovolo-moulded axial beam with bar- scroll stops and a large brick fireplace with plain oak lintel. By contrast the parlour has a chamfered and scroll-stopped crossbeam and a sandstone ashlar fireplace, a Tudor arch with moulded surround and sunk spandrels. Both first floor chambers have chamfered axial beams with scroll stops with renovated brick fireplaces with plain oak lintels. Where the framing is exposed at first floor level it is large framing with curving tension braces. Roof of 3 uneven bays, tie-beam trusses with clasped side purlins. The stair has been refurbished. It has square newel posts with teardrop finials and turned balusters. The evidence of a small original room behind the parlour comes from the 4-panel intersecting beam ceiling there.

It is clear that the house was extensively and expensively renovated to high standard circa 1949 and that some material was introduced then, e.g. oak small- field panelling in the main rooms and lobby, the Delft tiles in the parlour fireplace and the Tudor-style doors with good ornate strap hinges.

Listing NGR: TQ6454144718

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 64541 44718

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253481 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 08:16:36.

End of official listing