Church of St Catherine

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1253547
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1961
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Catherine, Middle Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Catherine
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253547.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 11:01:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Catherine, Middle Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Montacute
National Grid Reference:
ST 49673 16952

Details

ST4916 8/145

MONTACUTE CP MIDDLE STREET (South side) Church of St. Catherine

19.4.61

GV II* Anglican Parish Church. C12 origins, altered C13 and C15, restored 1870-71 by Henry Hall. Ham stone ashlar; stone slate roofs between stepped coped gables, some behind low parapets. Cruciform plan: two-bay chancel, five bay nave; west tower, north porch linked by lobby to north transept, south-east vestry.

Chancel largely rebuilt 1870 in C14 style: wide angled corner buttresses, plinth, eaves course; east window early Geometric style three-light under label with curl stops; similar windows in side walls, and on south side the 1864 vestry to match, with two-light south window in gable and plain east door.

South transept probably C15, with rebuilt gable: half-height corner buttresses, eaves course; three-light Geometric tracery south window, under which is a moulded pointed-arched doorway with square label continued as a string course: to west a single lancet without label, to east a four-light flat-headed window without label, ogee-traceried and cusped heads, central king mullion. North transept similar, but with two lancets in east wall.

Nave at least partially rebuilt on south, north may be earlier: plinth, bay buttresses, eaves string with gargoyles, shallow plain parapet with moulded coping: C15 style traceried three-light windows set in hollowed arched recesses with square-stop labels, four on south and two on north.

North porch may be C12: large angled corner buttresses, eaves string, stepped coped gable with cross finial; doorway a two-chamfered only just pointed arch with simple string and formerly carved stops; above a C14 canopied statue niche under a relieving arch and a small C14 two-light window; inside a quadripartite vault with ridge ribs and Tudor rose boss; inner doorway simpler, with pointed arch.

Tower in three stages, probably C15: offset corner buttresses two stages high with diagonal-set shafts over, no pinnacles remaining; full-height hexagonal stair turret to north-west corner; thick string courses of quatrefoil panel bands each level, partly missing on south side, crenellated parapet: west doorway deeply moulded with flanking shafts set diagonally; traceried panels under cill of four-light sub-arcuated traceried and transomed west window in hollowed recess, breaking into stage two; small rectangular window and clockface to north stage two; to stage three two-light windows in recesses without labels to all faces.

Interior largely C19 restoration: ashlar wall facings, C19 roofs with angel corbels to trusses: chancel arch C12, three plain orders with side shafts having scalloped capitals, squint to south side: C13 transept arches with triple-shaft jambs, original mouldings to capitals on east sides, the south- east having dog-tooth ornament: transept windows have rere-arches with labels to gable windows: tower arch C15, tall, double panelled. In chancel some recut C16 lettered panels; in nave the ornamented arch to a Norman doorway with X and lozenge decoration, fire-reddened, and one corbel to organ loft in north parvise is C12: font in lobby between porch and transept possibly C15, octagonal with panelled bowl, underbowl and shaft; this lobby has panelled link arches, probably C15.

Monuments include several in north transept, the Phelips family chapel (owners of Montacute House, q.v), with effigies of David and Ann, died 1484, and Bridget, died 1508, probably on later bases, canopied effigies of Thomas, died 1588, and Elizabeth, died 1598; on west wall garble monument to Edward, died 1690, having coupled Ionic pilasters and pediment: also in chancel small stone plaque to John House, yeoman, died 1660. chapel of St. Catherine attached to the nearby Priory of St Peter and St Paul (Abbey Farmhouse, q.v, established by 1102) first mentioned c1180: one of the two burned down c1207

(VCH Vol 111, 1974; Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4967416950

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436778
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/11670/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeremy Gray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].