STABLES AT NOSTELL PRIORY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- STABLES AT NOSTELL PRIORY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253558.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 18:55:16.
- Statutory Address:
- STABLES AT NOSTELL PRIORY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)
- Huntwick with Foulby and Nostell
- National Grid Reference:
HUNTWICK WITH FOULBY NOSTELL PARK
6/26 Stables at Nostell
Stable block, with Riding House, greenhouse, offices, etc, now garages, restaurant, etc. Four ranges enclosing a rectangular courtyard: the south and west ranges, 1770-1776 by Robert Adam; the north and east ranges 1827- 1829 by James Pritchett and Charles Watson of York. Sandstone ashlar, with roofs of stone slate, slate, and glass. The north range, (the entrance front) of long rectangular plan, 2 storeys and 17 bays, in classical style, is symmetrically composed, with a 5-bay centre block containing the entrance archway, linked by 5-bay blind-arcaded ranges to one-bay corner pavilions, the horizontal composition emphasised by a continuous impost band and by balustraded parapets between the central and the outer pediments. The entrance block has a 3-bay pedimented centre breaking forwards very slightly, containing a giant round-headed archway with long-and-short voussoirs and raised triple keystone; 12-pane sashes at ground floor, square 6-pane sashes at 1st floor, an oculus in the pediment, and on the centre of the roof a 2- stage clock tower (built to original design of Robert Adam) with square- section tapered first stage containing clock faces on all sides under small open pediments, and above this a circular Tuscan bellcote with lead-clad dome surmounted by a finial weathervane (initials "CW" on tail of arrow). The 5- bay flanking ranges, set back slightly, have pilasters, moulded imposts on the band, moulded semicircular arches above it, with raised triple keystones, a moulded cornice, and interrupted balustraded parapet with urns above the central block and the pavilions. The pedimented pavilions each have a doorway at ground floor, with raised triple keystone, and a square 6-pane sash above, and 2-bay return wall. The rear (or inner) side of the centre block matches its front, but the set-back flanking ranges differ: the western has a ground-floor arcade of 5 segmental-headed wagon doors, the eastern has 2 doorways and 12-pane sashes, and both have square windows above. East range: known as The Little House, symmetrical east facade of 2 storeys and 7 bays, plus 2-bay pavilions of 2 higher storeys; pedimented 3-bay centre breaking forwards slightly has 12-pane sashes at ground floor, 6-pane sashes above, and a blind oeil-de-boeuf in the pediment; to the left, 4-pane sashes on both floors, to the right, fenestration like that of the pavilions, but with taller ground-floor windows; balustraded parapet between pediment and pavilions. Ridge chimneys flanking the pediment, and side-wall chimneys to the pavilions, which have low pyramidal roofs. (The courtyard side of this range is of less interest). South range: (by Robert Adam) consists of a large Riding House with flanking Green House and Garden House terminating in pavilions; the 5-bay south front of the Riding House has pilasters, a central 3-bay bowed loggia of giant round-headed arches, matching blind arches in the outer bays, panels above the arches, a 12-pane sashed window in the arch to the left (other side concealed by ivy), and a plain frieze and cornice. The Garden House (left) and the Green House (right) are both 5-bay Doric colonnades, but that to the left is blind except for small windows at the top of the 2nd and 4th bays, while that to the right has 2-stage glazing in each bay, with arched lights (and these columns have wooden cladding); both have entablatures matching that in the centre. The end pavilions have Venetian windows at ground floor, 6-pane sashes above, and pyramidal roofs with chimneys to the outer side walls. The courtyard side of this range has round-headed arcades: the arches of the Riding House are blind except for Diocletian windows above the impost band; the roofs of the other parts are carried down to a low level, the arcade to the greenhouse otherwise similar to that of the Riding House except for doors in the 2nd and 4th bays, the arcade to the Garden House formerly open but now glazed. West range (also by Robert Adam): symmetrical west facade of 7 bays plus 2- bay end pavilions; central full-height pedimented Tuscan architrave framing a recessed round-headed arch with a Diocletian window above a plain doorway; to each side, 12-pane sashes at ground floor only; 2-storey pavilions with similar windows at ground floor, square 6-pane sashes above, shallow pyramidal roofs (courtyard side of this range of less interest).
Listing NGR: SE4047817403
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing