CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND OUR LADY (WRAGBY PARISH CHURCH)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1253565
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND OUR LADY (WRAGBY PARISH CHURCH)

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND OUR LADY (WRAGBY PARISH CHURCH)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253565 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 16:41:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND OUR LADY (WRAGBY PARISH CHURCH)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Huntwick with Foulby and Nostell
National Grid Reference:
SE 40776 17299

Details

HUNTWICK WITH FOULBY NOSTELL PARK SE 4017 AND NOSTELL 6/39 Church of St. Michael 25.3.1968 and Our Lady (Wragby Parish Church). (Formerly listed as "Church of St. Michael") GV I

Church. Dated 1533 in chancel; restored. Coursed squared sandstone, stone slate roof. West tower, nave and chancel with continuous north and south aisles. Perpendicular style. The unbuttressed tower has a chamfered plinth, a 2-centred arched west doorway with 2 orders of hollow moulding, and a hoodmould, a 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery and a hoodmould, and above this a niche with cusped ogee head and a finial flanked 2 carved wheel patterns on each side, a dripmould to the belfry stage, 2-light louvred belfry windows with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmoulds, and an embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. The 4-bay nave has a clerestorey of 4 deeply-recessed square-headed windows each of 3 arched lights with hollow spandrels and hoodmoulds. The aisles are buttressed and have deeply- recessed windows, all of 3 cusped lights with Perpendicular tracery, with hollow-moulded reveals and hoodmoulds; and embattled parapets; there is a gabled porch to the 1st bay of the south aisle, with 2-centred arched outer doorway moulded in 2 orders, and hoodmould with figured stops, a dripmould following the gable and carried round, and a high embattled parapet with a sundial mounted in the apex over the doorway. The chancel has a large transomed east window with cusped lights and Perpendicular tracery. Interior: nave and chancel arcades of double-chamfered 2-centred arches on octagonal columns with moulded caps; kingpost roof to nave; coffered ceiling to chancel, with moulded beams and carved bosses; Latin inscription on wallplate in chancel commemorating Prior Alured (Comyn - penultimate prior of the Augustinian Priory of St Oswald) "who caused this choir to be built the ninth year of his Priorate and in the year of Our Lord 1533;" cylindrical Norman font with large zig-zag decoration (brought from Auburn near Bridlington in 1830); Flemish carved reredos; wall monument to Sir Rowland Winn (4th baronet), by Flaxman, 1806. Pulpit with C17 Venetian carved panels in Turkish boxwood, and sounding board; hatchments of Winn family (in chancel) and Arms of Charles II (above door); Cl8 organ case.

Listing NGR: SE4077917297

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436804
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Nov 2007
Reference: IOE01/17033/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Robson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].