THE SWAN INN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253650

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 19-May-1986

Statutory Address: THE SWAN INN, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SWAN INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253650 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 09:23:46.

Location

Statutory Address: THE SWAN INN, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Needham Market

National Grid Reference: TM 08976 54790

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (WEST) TM 0854

3/71 The Swan Inn (formerly listed as No.9 (Swan 9.12.55 Hotel)) II

Public house, late C16 with alterations of 1850 (date on building). A 3-cell building with cross-passage entrance. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered, the two end cells were jettied towards the High Street until C19 when the front walls were underbuilt in gault brick (now painted) up to 1st floor level, and the left-hand gable was also encased. Plaintiled roofs; the end cells have large gablets designed to appear as cross-wings; they have bargeboards pierced with linked circles and with spike finials. A central gabled dormer of similar design also bears the date 1850. Axial and end chimneys of gault brick. Small-pane sashes of c.1850; at ground storey is a central paired sash and at each end a splayed flat-roofed bay. C19 entrance door of 3 panels, the upper pair are glazed with an etched design which includes a Swan motif; a pair of pilasters and simple pediment. In the hall are roll-moulded floor joists and a matching binding-joist, all reused from an earlier C16 building. In the formerly jettied front wall is a carved pilaster with the knee above, now exposed within the bar. Other late C16 framing is plain, but the attic floor members have composite ovolo-moulding. Clasped purlin roof. The will of Sir Francis Needham (d.1632) mentions the Inn under its previous name of The King's Head.

Listing NGR: TM0897654790

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436900

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing