This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

YOUNG'S STORES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: YOUNG'S STORES

List entry Number: 1253663

Location

101, HIGH STREET
YOUNG'S STORES, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Needham Market

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 19-May-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436926

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (WEST) TM 0855

3/94 No.101 and Young's Stores (formerly listed as 9.12.55 Nos. 101 and 103)

- II

House and shop. Facade of late C18 and C19. A complex building with a core of several dates including a low early C18 range to the street, and a tall mid/late C16 cross-wing to left; both of 2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered; the main range has a parapet masking a shallow-pitched slated front roof slope. The remaining roofs are plaintiled. An internal chimney of red brick. Mid C19 small-pane sashes. A fine wide late C18 bow-fronted shop window with small panes, with a deeply-recessed doorway at the centre: a pair of half-glazed panelled doors with Tuscan columns supporting a flat entablature. The cornice continues over the shop windows on either side, and at each end are slender pilasters. A late C18 6-panelled entrance door to No.101, the upper pair of panels glazed. The left-hand parlour block has some good mid C16 features: arch-braced close-studding and moulded ceiling beams in the chamber above; the studwork retains its original herringbone bricknogging. Now within the roofspace is an area of wall-painting on plaster, simulating the bricknogging beneath in bright red with fine white joints, and one square panel with a painted foliate design is included. The painting is early, and perhaps original. Coupled-rafter roof. Behind is a lower wing of earlier C16 or possibly C15, with evidence for a crownpost roof, now rebuilt; a C17 window lights a staircase tower, and a rare twin early C18 window has some bullseye glass in square panes with thick glazing bars. A long rear wing to right is mainly of C19 red brick but may have an earlier core. In continuous use as a grocer's shop since at least 1784, when known as John Woodward, Grocer and Draper.

Listing NGR: TM0876955130

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 08769 55130

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253663 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 03:46:12.

End of official listing