This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SHARLSTON HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SHARLSTON HALL

List entry Number: 1253750

Location

SHARLSTON HALL, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wakefield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Sharlston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Oct-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 437055

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHARLSTON THE GREEN SE 31 NE 4/59 Sharlston Hall 14.2.1952 (Formerly listed as "Old Hall Farmhouse" GV II* Manor house, now 2 dwellings. Dated 1574 on porch, but thought to be of C15, C16 and C17 builds. Timber frame, cased in stone and now rendered, with roof of stone slates. L-shaped plan formed by alterations and successive additions to an early C15 hall of linear hearth-passage plan, making a long and irregular range facing south, with a projecting west wing. Now all 2- storeys, plus an attic in one wing. The south facade of the main range has 5 irregularly-disposed and unequal gables, including a small 2-storey gabled porch offset right of centre, the upper floor and jettied gable of which have exposed decorative framing of small square panels with quadrant braces, the rail and tie-beam bearing a Latin inscription and the date 1574 (see RCHM p. 25, note 54); the hall to the left has a large 5-light mullion-and-transom window (which is matched by an opposed window in the rear wall), while an inserted gabled dormer with a 3-light mullioned window breaks the eaves to the right of this. To the right of the porch are the gables of inner and outer east wings, both with slightly set-back upper floors; the inner, slightly overlapped by the porch, has a 3-light casement at ground floor, two 2-light casements at 1st floor, and a square casement to the attic; the outer, which has a catslide roof on the further side, has 2 altered windows at ground floor a 2-and a 3-light mullioned window at ground floor and one above, and (on the further side of an attached garden wall) mullioned windows of 2 and 3 lights, and a tall gabled dormer rising from the return wall. The hall has a ridge chimney slightly left of the porch. To the left of the hall the gable of a mid-C15 solar wing is mostly covered by a low projecting wing added to the front, which itself has a further addition in the re-entrant angle, with twin-gabled jettied upper floor; and a lean-to addition covers the remainder of the re-entrant wall of this wing. The gable of this wing has altered or inserted windows; the return wall has a large external chimney stack close to the front, with offsets, an added porch to the rear of this, then a restored 4-light mullioned window and 2 casements above; the return of the solar wing (which is continuous) has a similar external chimney stack, a 3-light mullioned window to the front of this and a casement above. The rear of the hall has 2 gabled dormers (like that at the front) over the hall window, (and 2 temporary timber buttresses at the time of survey, 1986), a back door (opposed to the porch) and above this a 2-light casement breaking the eaves, with a segmental pediment; the rear of the inner east wing has a built-out ground floor with 2 French windows, casements at 1st floor and a square casement to the attic; the rear of the outer east wing has 2 very large external chimney stacks, the inner of which carries 3-diagonal flues. Interior: details of construction concealed or inaccessible at time of survey (1986), but see RCHM Rural Houses of West Yorkshire 1400-1830, esp. p. 212; and manuscript report in W. Yorks. Archaeological Unit, Wakefield.

Listing NGR: SE3956018884

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Giles, C, Rural Houses of West Yorkshire 1400-1830, (1986), 212

National Grid Reference: SE 39560 18884

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253750 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 11:41:58.

End of official listing