THE GOLDEN GATES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1253792

Date first listed: 15-Dec-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jul-1986

Statutory Address: THE GOLDEN GATES, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GOLDEN GATES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253792 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 17:45:21.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GOLDEN GATES, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Calne Without

National Grid Reference: ST 95690 70495

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 97 SE CALNE WITHOUT CHURCH ROAD, Derry Hill (south side)

2/50 The Golden Gates

15.12.72 (formerly listed as Golden Gates at Bowood House)

GV II*

Entrance arch and tower, 1834-8 by Sir Charles Barry for 3rd Marquess of Lansdowne. Ashlar, Italianate style. Monumental composition of balustraded triple gateway flanked by high campanile tower to right and small Italianate lantern to left. Screen walls each side, one with C20 lodge behind. Central arched gateway with console keystone and impost band carried over plain square headed pedestrian gates. Attached Ionic columns flank arch, under richly carved dentil cornice with pulvinated frieze inscribed PAX INTRANTIBUS ET HABITANTIBUS. Armorial roundels over pedestrian gates. Top balustrade with piers and urns. Flanking section to left has incised rustication, mouldings carried around from centre gateway and shallow pyramid-roofed lantern with arched opening each side. Main tower to right of 3 stages. Lower stage with mouldings carried around, arched-head window breaking through band with incised rustication each side. Above band, only angles are rusticated. High second stage with rusticated angles, pedimented window on each face with sill course below. Moulded cornice under top stage belvedere of paired arched openings with arches carried on columns paired in depth. Keystones, moulded arches and imposts. Panelled angle piers. Bracket cornice with diamond faced blocks between brackets and shallow pyramid roof. Screen walls each side divided by rusticated piers and terminated at rusticated corniced piers with ball finials. Ornate iron gates. Rear is similar but 2 eroded sculpted roundels by M.L. Watson (1847) appear in place of armorial plaques. A major work of the C19 Italianate style. Designs in British Architectural Library, London. (Builder, 1845, 83; C.L., 22.6.1972)

Listing NGR: ST9569070495

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436850

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 22 June, (1972)
'The Builder' in The Builder, , Vol. 83, (1845)

End of official listing