CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1253889

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253889 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 17:54:50.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse (District Authority)

Parish: Letcombe Bassett

National Grid Reference: SU 37378 84919

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LETCOMBE BASSETT SU38SE 10/110 Church of St. Michael 24/11/66 (Formerly listed as St.Michael & GV All Angels) II*

Church. C12, remodelled c.1861 by W. Butterfield. Chalk and sarsen coursed rubble rendered; limestone quoins and dressings; tile roof. C12 chancel; nave remodelled and south aisle and vestry built c.1861; late C13 west tower. Two- light east window much restored; north wall of chancel has C12 round-headed lancet and fine C12 doorway has roll moulded arch, scalloped capitals with 4 carved signs of the Evangelists; south wall of chancel has similar C12 lancet and 2-light late C13 windows; mid C19 vestry with pointed arches to doors in end walls. South wall of nave has two 3-light C15 windows and 3-light ogee headed window of c.1861: gabled porch of c.1861 has limestone ashlar front, flint side wall, pierced gable end bargeboard; north wall of nave has 3-light late C13 window and late C13 door with fillet and roll- moulded architrave. South aisle, c.1861, has one-, 2-and 3-light windows. Gabled roofs to nave and chancel. West tower has diagonal buttresses; late C13 two- light window set in late C17/early C18 English bond brick wall. Interior: polychrome reredos with coloured inlaid stone, tiled bands round chancel walls, piscina, altar rail, benches, floor tiles and 2-bay canted roof all of c.1861. C12 chancel arch has carved leaf trails to abaci of responds. Trefoil- headed niche for images to east wall of nave, with blocked access to rood over. Nave has trefoiled pulpit, lectern, prayer desk, benches and screen to tower room, all of c.1861; Limestone font has circular bowl narrowed to octagonal base, and cover probably of c.1861: pointed stoup next to south door: late C19 stained glass windows; 4-bay C17 common rafter roof. Arch-braced collars to roof of porch. Buildings of England, Berkshire, p.l66.

Listing NGR: SU3737884919

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437215

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 166

End of official listing