STATION PLATFORM BUILDINGS AT HARROW AND WEALDSTONE RAILWAY STATION COMPRISING OF SOUTH WESTERN TICKET OFFICE RANGE, PLATFORM, WAITING ROOM BLOCKS, PLATFORM CANOPIES AND LINKING PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE STATION PLATFORM BUILDINGS AT HARROW AND WEALDSTONE RAILWAY STATION COMPRISING TICKET OFFICE RANGE, PLATFORM, WAITING ROOM BLOCKS, PLATFORM CANOPIES AND LINKING PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1253986
Date first listed:
13-Jul-1990
Statutory Address:
STATION PLATFORM BUILDINGS AT HARROW AND WEALDSTONE RAILWAY STATION COMPRISING OF SOUTH WESTERN TICKET OFFICE RANGE, PLATFORM, WAITING ROOM BLOCKS, PLATFORM CANOPIES AND LINKING PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE, MARLBOROUGH ROAD
Statutory Address:
STATION PLATFORM BUILDINGS AT HARROW AND WEALDSTONE RAILWAY STATION COMPRISING TICKET OFFICE RANGE, PLATFORM, WAITING ROOM BLOCKS, PLATFORM CANOPIES AND LINKING PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE, THE BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STATION PLATFORM BUILDINGS AT HARROW AND WEALDSTONE RAILWAY STATION COMPRISING OF SOUTH WESTERN TICKET OFFICE RANGE, PLATFORM, WAITING ROOM BLOCKS, PLATFORM CANOPIES AND LINKING PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE
STATION PLATFORM BUILDINGS AT HARROW AND WEALDSTONE RAILWAY STATION COMPRISING TICKET OFFICE RANGE, PLATFORM, WAITING ROOM BLOCKS, PLATFORM CANOPIES AND LINKING PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253986 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 02:15:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
STATION PLATFORM BUILDINGS AT HARROW AND WEALDSTONE RAILWAY STATION COMPRISING OF SOUTH WESTERN TICKET OFFICE RANGE, PLATFORM, WAITING ROOM BLOCKS, PLATFORM CANOPIES AND LINKING PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE, MARLBOROUGH ROAD
Statutory Address:
STATION PLATFORM BUILDINGS AT HARROW AND WEALDSTONE RAILWAY STATION COMPRISING TICKET OFFICE RANGE, PLATFORM, WAITING ROOM BLOCKS, PLATFORM CANOPIES AND LINKING PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE, THE BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Harrow (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 15475 89430

Details

The following buildings shall be added:-

TQ 18 NE THE BRIDGE (West Side) 4/19 Station platform buildings at Harrow and Wealdstone Railway Station comprising ticket office range, platform, waiting room blocks, platform canopies and linking pedestrian bridge.

II GV

Railway station platform buildings and canopies. 1875 and 1911, with later alterations. For the London and North Western Railway Company. Platform 1 ticket office range of cream brick in Flemish bond with stucco, ashlar and yellow-brick dressings; other platform buildings have plinths of red brick in Flemish bond and wooden superstructures; iron/steel-columned canopies; felted and part-glazed roofs. The south- western ticket office range and platform canopies to platforms 1 and 2/3 are of 1875'; the infill platform building on platform 2/3 and those on platforms 4/5 and 6/7 are 1911, as also is the pedestrian bridge which links all the platforms to each other and to the main, north-eastern, station building (The Bridge, q.v.). South-western ticket office range: north-east (line-side) elevation: 6, 5, 9 bays, the 5 central bays recessed twice. Segmental-arched openings. Panelled doors, some blocked and some replaced by windows, the 2 at centre with side lights and mullioned and transomed overlights. Sash windows, some bricked up and 2 at left end with late C20 replacements. Ashlar-corniced brick stacks. South-west (car park side) elevation: 6, 3, 3, 5 bays, bays 10-12 projecting and having main entrance, end blocks further recessed. Plinth; impost band; rusticated quoins to entrance block; segmental yellow-brick arches to openings, but round-arched openings to bays 10-15 and those to bays 10-12 with keystones; oversailing roof with decorative brackets to bays 7-12. Left-hand section has bricked-up openings; bays 13-15 have recesses flanking centre, that on left formerly a doorway. Waiting-room blocks on Platforms 2/3, 4/5 and 6/7: 13 bays having close-spaced 6-pane sashes with overlights, and part- glazed panelled doors, all with architraved heads. Dentilled eaves cornice. Roofed by platform canopies. Corniced brick stacks. Some openings blocked, and some late C20 replacement windows. Late C20 8-bay block on platform 2/3 not of special interest. Platform canopies on platform 1 and 2/3: have cylindrical columns with panelled bases, plain capitals, and arch braces with decorative spandrels supporting wooden canopy. Canopy on platform 1 has paired part-glazed cross-gabled sections of roofing above main entrances; canopy on platform 2/3 has similar tripled sections at centre. Platform canopies on platforms 4/5 and 6/7: have square columns with integral rain-water down-pipes, plain plinths and capitals; they carry cross-braced girders which support the part-glazed canopies. Covered Pedestrian bridge: has continuous glazing to upper part of walls and glazed sides to canopies which cover the steel stairs down to platforms.

Listing NGR: TQ1547589430

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
437299
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00836/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr S. Charles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].