COKE OVENS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254070

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1985

Statutory Address: COKE OVENS, TODMORDEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of COKE OVENS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254070 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 18:00:47.

Location

Statutory Address: COKE OVENS, TODMORDEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley (District Authority)

Parish: Habergham Eaves

National Grid Reference: SD 84882 30787

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 83 SW

SD 848 308 HABERGHAM EAVES (off) TODMORDEN ROAD

4/40 Coke Ovens

- - II

Bank of 'beehive' coke ovens, now overgrown and partly ruinous, c.1850. Built basically of brick but with a sandstone rubble retaining wall at the lower (east) end. A rectangular block, built up and into a slight slope, measuring roughly 30m by 12m and containing (originally) two rows of six kilns each; those on the north side are more badly damaged. Each kiln is circular in plan with a diameter of about 4 metres and is composed of a domed vault about 2.5 metres high, built of a single skin of yellow/brown bricks, laid in header bond, and now vitrified at the inner end. (Some of these bricks have been stamped with the initials WFB). Originally, each kiln appears to have had a round-headed ventilation hole at the front, a flue at the back and a circular charging hole at the top. History Built by an as yet unknown firm and superseded by the coke ovens established immediately to the north by the Towneley Colliery and Brickworks Company, which began production in 1874. A large and relatively well-preserved example of a now uncommon type.

Listing NGR: SD8488230787

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437436

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing